New to the group.

Options
Hello Brothers and Sisters.

My name is Sister Dee Still and I am a member of the Talisay Ward located on the island of Guam. My husband is in the Navy and we are stationed overseas. I have used MFP before, but more to keep track of what I was eating, not as a goal to help me with weight loss. As my husband prepares for his deployment I am preparing to start a personal journey. I have several goals to accomplish while he is away. Here are a few.

1. To read the entire Book of Mormon all the way through in 6 months. This is only 3 pages per day. It is a goal my husband and I want to accomplish together to help strengthen our faith in Heavenly Father and become closer with him and each other through our faith.

2. I want to loose 65lbs in the 6 month my hubby is away. My start weight is 245lbs and my goal weight is 180lbs. I will accomplish this goal by using the free classes they offer at the gym twice a day 5 times a week. I will also walk to and from the gym once a day (steep downhill on the way and steep uphill on the way back) a total of 9 miles walking per week. To aid me in my weight loss I will be watching what I eat, eating smaller portions and having 5 small meals per day.

I am a veteran of the Army, and have been on two deployments myself. I have never been the one waiting behind at home. I know this will be a hard struggle but with Heavenly Father beside me I know I can be strong enough not only to survive the deployment, but strong enough to thrive.

I hope to make some friends here on MFP who share the faith and who can help encourage me through the hard times. :-)

Replies

• raggyanndoll
    Options
    I have been the wife at home. In my first marriage, my husband was gone almost four months during Desert Storm. We were young then and had no children. For me, the hardest part was loneliness. Money was also an issue as we did not get paid until 9 weeks in and they gave the check to my husband in UAE. Crazy. He had to send it home, which was another delay of a couple of weeks. I certainly hope they do things differently now 22 years later. :)

It sounds like you have great goals! Way to keep yourself busy and productive! And since you have been deployed yourself, you understand what it will be like for him and can be supportive.

Glad to see you here Dee!

Kris
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Didn't know (or maybe remember) that there was such a group! I did a search for "LDS" or "Mormon" a few months back and met Kris (and another young woman who posts very little), but I don't think I found this group.

Welcome, Dee! There are some great people offering lots of encouragement on MFP. I love the idea of a group of members, but I'm pretty comfortable right now with a group of about 6 people that I have regular contact with here. I've mentioned Fast Sunday several times, and today I managed to slip in a quote from the D&C. 8^)

I'm in Sacramento CA. Married, have one son who is married and has 4 kids--they only live 1.5 miles away, but they are in another stake. I am a computer programmer for the state.

I don't want to be negative, but I'm concerned that your weight loss goal will be too hard to achieve and not healthy for you. 65 lbs in 26 weeks is way more than most experts say you should lose. How about 1/2 of that? Most people I know started noticing my weight loss at about 30 lbs, so your losing 30+ in the 6 months your hubby is gone should defintely get his notice!

I'd be happy to be added as a friend.