Hypothyroidism and food choices

Options
ezBrizy
ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
I never really thought about how some foods could adversely effect my thyroid but I found this list of nutritional tips. I'm kinda bummed, I eat a lot of the foods from the "avoid" list. Any thoughts?

Nutrition and Supplements

Following these nutritional tips may help reduce symptoms:

Eat foods high in B-vitamins and iron, such as whole grains (if no allergy), fresh vegetables, and sea vegetables.
Avoid foods that interfere with thyroid function, including broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, spinach, turnips, soybeans, peanuts, linseed, pine nuts, millet, cassava, and mustard greens.
If you take thyroid hormone medication, talk to your doctor before eating soy products. There is some evidence soy may interfere with absorption of thyroid hormone.
Taking iron supplements may interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone medication, so ask your doctor before taking iron.
Eat foods high in antioxidants, including fruits (such as blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes) and vegetables (such as squash and bell pepper).
Avoid alcohol and tobacco. Talk to your doctor before increasing your caffeine intake, as caffeine impacts several conditions and medications.

Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/hypothyroidism-000093.htm#ixzz2JNVDIB5c

Replies

• 52in13
    52in13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Eat foods high in B-vitamins and iron, such as whole grains (if no allergy), fresh vegetables, and sea vegetables.
    Avoid foods that interfere with thyroid function, including broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, spinach, turnips, soybeans, peanuts, linseed, pine nuts, millet, cassava, and mustard greens.

Wow! I had no idea! I avoid breads, potatoes, and pasta, but I eat tons of broccoli and peanut butter!
  • ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Me too! Those are most of my favorite veggies!
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of cruciferous veggies everyday and although I love them raw, I have read that as long as they are steamed, you are good. I eat them both ways and have never had an issue personally.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Oh and I also drink plenty of coffee, occasionally have alcohol and take a multi with iron two hours after my meds. I do avoid soy though.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about how some foods could adversely effect my thyroid but I found this list of nutritional tips. I'm kinda bummed, I eat a lot of the foods from the "avoid" list. Any thoughts?

If you take thyroid hormone medication, talk to your doctor before eating soy products. There is some evidence soy may interfere with absorption of thyroid hormone.
    Taking iron supplements may interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone medication, so ask your doctor before taking iron.
    Eat foods high in antioxidants, including fruits (such as blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes) and vegetables (such as squash and bell pepper).
    Avoid alcohol and tobacco. Talk to your doctor before increasing your caffeine intake, as caffeine impacts several conditions and medications.

Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/hypothyroidism-000093.htm#ixzz2JNVDIB5c

Goitrogenic foods, like broccoli, cabbage, etc: these can inhibit your body's ability to make new thyroid hormones - cooked they are generally fine.

Soy: same as the above.

B vitamins: B12 is an essential part of your body converting T4 into the active thyroid hormone T3. Low T3 is what makes you feel hypo.
    Iron: also critical for converting T4-->T3. Make sure to take any iron (or calcium) supplements 4 hours after taking your thyroid meds, as it can bring to the meds and prevent them from being absorbed.

You should also consider getting optimal levels of Vit D, selenium, and zinc.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Wow! I had no idea! I avoid breads, potatoes, and pasta, but I eat tons of broccoli and peanut butter!

Interesting---I just naturally avoid a lot of those foods--don't particularly dislike them, but I'm kind of meh about them. I eat them only occasionally. The only exception would be spinach. I love it and eat it every day. I wonder if I should consider stopping?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Goitrogenic foods, like broccoli, cabbage, etc: these can inhibit your body's ability to make new thyroid hormones - cooked they are generally fine.

Soy: same as the above.

B vitamins: B12 is an essential part of your body converting T4 into the active thyroid hormone T3. Low T3 is what makes you feel hypo.
    Iron: also critical for converting T4-->T3. Make sure to take any iron (or calcium) supplements 4 hours after taking your thyroid meds, as it can bring to the meds and prevent them from being absorbed.

You should also consider getting optimal levels of Vit D, selenium, and zinc.

What about foods that have iron in them--like egg yolks? I eat eggs every morning (but I wait the obligatory half hour after I take my thyroid pill to eat). I make sure that I take my calcium supplement four hours after my thyroid pill.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    What about foods that have iron in them--like egg yolks? I eat eggs every morning (but I wait the obligatory half hour after I take my thyroid pill to eat). I make sure that I take my calcium supplement four hours after my thyroid pill.

I wouldn't worry too much about that - it's smaller doses than a supplement, plus you want to live your lifestyle....your meds will get adjusted to work with it.

Ex: I wait an hour after my meds, but then I have coffee with cream!
  • 52in13
    52in13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

good, I eat them mostly cooked (steamed)
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have an under active thyroid and take Thyroxin daily (75mg). I eat lots of the veg mentioned in the original post above i.e. broccoli, sprouts (adore these), cauliflower. I'm not very adventurous with veg, what else can I eat if I have to reduce or stop eating the above?

I know I should avoid celery as my sister, who also suffers, told me this nugget of information but I recently found I like radishes and bought a whole bunch. On reading up about radishes, low and behold these should also be avoided if one suffers with a thyroid dysfunction. What the hell! It's so annoying 'cause we're told to eat lots of fresh veg etc and then if one has this condition it can be counter productive. Any advice appreciated. I don't eat broccoli raw but occasionally I have eaten cauliflower raw, so is it ok to still eat it so long as I cook it. Confused.com.
  • KBreeding74
    Options
    I found out last Thursday that I also have an under active thyroid. I am 38 1/2 years old & now taking my 1st prescribed daily medicine Levothyroxine 75 MCG. My doctor, she asked me to keep a food journal. I could have just picked up a note book & written down everything. But something told me to check things out online. I love researching, reading & learning things on the web. I scoured the internet and after researching for a couple of hours decided on myfitnesspal because it's very hard to resist eating out & eating processed foods. Personally, I get a high. So now down to business & really understanding what I'm putting into my body. Second guessing items currently in the pantry & fridge. Researching healthier meals to make with what I currently have in stock & went to Fresh n Easy today. I tend to go there for at least 70% of my shopping. With the farmer's markets open & the orchard, I don't purchase as much processed foods from spring through most of fall here in Las Vegas. I regularly do not eat breakfast and usually don't get up until around noon. I am a late night person naturally & because my husband recently went from working 3rd shift to 2nd shift. It's really hard for me to convert completely to his schedule because I enjoy being able to do my side work of jewelry & crafts while neighbors are quieter & I'm more relaxed. I've been having panic & anxiety since I was 21! I take care of myself naturally & choose to NOT take medication. I'm thinking about looking to see if there's a hypothyroidism group on facebook to further support & if I do I will let you all know where to go. Enjoy your day & may tomorrow be even better.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I eat a ton of cruciferous veggies everyday and although I love them raw, I have read that as long as they are steamed, you are good. I eat them both ways and have never had an issue personally.

Yes--spinach is one of those foods that is more nourishing eaten lightly steamed than raw.