Getting a Road Bike - Costs are a concern

Options
MDLNH
MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
Greetings - I have been riding bikes on & off for several years and have recently (last 2 years) gotten very serious about it. I currently have a Trek mountain bike and it's great for when I'm riding w/ my family (we do a lot of camping) or pulling my daughter in her trailer. I'm also an avid spinner during the winter months. As I have lost weight, I am now looking to get out for longer rides and just about every person tells me that I need to "move up" to a road bike and that it will make the world of difference . . . I also believe them :-)

Costs are an issue for me and I've been overwhelmed at some of the prices I've seen at local bike shops - even for the entry level bikes. I've also checked some on-line bike suppliers, whose prices are more in-line w/ my budget, but I'm always concerned about on-line shopping and I would need to basically put the bike together myself. *Note: I have not begun to explore the world of pre-owened or used road bikes.

I live north of Boston (MA), so please feel free to share any advice, suggestions, bike-shops, on-line shops, where to go, what to do, etc.

I appreciate any informaiton that will be offered to help me "move-up" to a road bike . . .

Thank you - Mark

Replies

• Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Buying in a store, I would expect an entry level road bike to be $750 or so (For example, the Trek 1 series). That will include the bike assembly and probably a free 90-day tune up (to account for the stretch in the cables when they are new) and probably a discount on a life-time maintenance plan. If anything goes wrong, they will warranty it for you.

If you buy online, expect a local bike shop to charge you $50 to $200 to put the bike together, then charge you $25 for the 90-dat tune up and another $40 to $80 every spring for maintenance (assuming you want your gears to shift and your brakes to work). If anything goes wrong, you will need to ship the bike (or the broken part) back to whomever you bought it from and then pay the local bike shop to install it for you.

Looking at just the purchase price, you can find some ugly surprises down the road. You're better off to save up a little and buy locally than to buy online and end up paying more in the long run (unless you're a major bike mechanic, in which case you can ignore all that I said)
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has worked in bike shops in retail and maintenance. Bike shops really don't make much off the bike, so don't think they are over charging. Entry level bikes are a great place to start and you can expect to pay between $600 - $1000, no matter what brand you buy. If you have a decent frame, you can later turn that entry level bike into more than an entry level bike. Some will disagree with me, but components are the real difference between entry level, middle and top of the line. Aluminum vs. steal vs. carbon is another argument all together. Weight and stiffness being the jest of that argument.

So basically entry level and later you can upgrade your components and turn it into a middle and that is where most cyclist buy. The rich guys buy the top of the line. I drool over a $6000 bike in a local bike shop ... I would never be buying it.

If you are not able to do your own maintenance and tune ups, I do not recommend buying on line.
  • djdube525
    djdube525 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Some other benefits of a good LBS which will pay huge dividends down the road...

1) A good store will do a proper fitting - cant stress this enough here...
    2) they may have insights on people selling bikes as they move into higher end bikes (some stores will put on a bulletin board)
    3) get the scoop on store based group rides (you don't have to buy a bike there to get in on group rides, but its all about establishing relationships)

On the plus side... You should start to see sales on the this years lineup as stores make room for next years bikes.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great insight and advice - Truly appreciated !!!
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Another option might be Craigslist if you're ok with a used bike. I've seen some pretty good deals on bikes in my area. You can find one that's in your price range and then check on line for reviews (I'd suggest looking for industry magazines or forums for the reviews). The important thing is to get sized at your LBS first. Many do it for free, while others charge, but it's still worth it in the long run.
    Good luck in your hunt and happy riding.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to let your friends and bike club members know that you're looking for a road bike. My husband just picked up a very nice Trek road bike that sold for nearly $2,000 for .... drumroll .... $100 bucks because the owner has four and he rarely uses this one, and liked the idea of helping a dad of six support his bike habit!

Then another friend had a pair of carbon fiber Matrix wheels that retail for about $1500 each, that he decided didn't 'look good' on his bike so he bought some other ones, and my husband was able to get them for $700 for the pair!

So let people know you're looking. An awesome blessing for you might be sitting in a friend's garage just waiting for a new home.

Good luck!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Mark - We use http://www.landrys.com/ locally. I also have gotten cash deals at http://gracebicycles.com/ as well. Of course the best deals are on last years bikes if they have any. And of course you can save the sales tax if you get one in Nashu, NH.

I still think used is a great option!
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I bought my first bike from a web retailer (like bikesdirect.com). I was able to get something a little better (component wise) for the cost of an entry level: $900 to $1200 dollar range. A year and a half later I am a cycling fanatic. Good luck.
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I bought my first bike from a web retailer (like bikesdirect.com). I was able to get something a little better (component wise) for the cost of an entry level: $900 to $1200 dollar range. A year and a half later I am a cycling fanatic. Good luck.

And he (jhalsey205) has some amazing rides to prove it! Good luck on your journey - it has been a lot of fun for many of us!!
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Can't add a lot to what has already been posted. There are pro and cons with each approach mentioned. Here are my $.02
    1. LBS would be best bet if you are not familiar with maintenance and tuning a bike up. May cost a little more but safer in long run. You already have a Trek and if you bought it from a LBS should have pretty good relationship.
    2. Craigslist or other used bike alternative. Must know correct size (as mentioned earlier you can get this from LBS). Also inspect bike very carefully for possible cracks in frame or bent frames. You can find some pretty decent bikes for cheap.
    3. Buying online will give you the most bang for buck, but there are negatives of having to assemble or pay to if you don't know how. Make sure they have excellent return policy if needed
    All in all, I probably didn't help any. But those are some things I would think about. I have used all three methods and have not had any problems, however, I have been around bikes for over 20 years and worked in a shop. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.