Has anyone else signed up to do this?

This will be my first Rugged Maniac, anyone else going to the NJ one? If so how do you prepare for these types of races?

Replies

• AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    I did the Rugged Maniac in SoCal in Oct with my 10 year old son. It kicked my @SS!!! I would suggest finding the steepest tallest hill in your area and running up and down it, ALOT. Then crawl on your hands and knees through lots of puddles to toughen them up (extra points if you keep your head down so you don't hit the barbed wire). Then build a 10-15 foot tall climbing wall and figure out how to get over it with only a 1/2inch tow hold 2 feet up. Learn how to jump over fire with grace (they take your pic while you're doing this).

That being said my Son and I had so much fun that we signed up for this years one in Sept on the spot. I can't wait and I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun.

BTW, if this is your first 5K or first experience running uphill for a long ways expect to be massivly sore for a few days. I trained for this sucker and was STILL sore for 3-5 days after. BEST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Oh and to add my 10 year old Son finished 20 minutes ahead of me and was not sore at all (he's a club soccer player).
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Hello, I will be signing up with a team soon. I got suckered into doing this :tongue: with some friends from my spin class. I am not a runner but we are training to get ready. Sounds like a lot of fun and just the challenge I need to help me reach new goals.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    As far as training goes, we are running to build up endurance and doing core work together 2-3 times a week. I'm giving the couch25k a go. I am about to start week two on the plan.
  • thegreatestlove
    thegreatestlove Posts: 63 Member
    I just signed up for the one in Atlanta. It's not until August so I have some time to prepare myself. I have a long way to go before I am ready!!