Diagnosed with Pcos last thursday

Options
Hello,
My name is Kate. I'm 26 and have been married for almost three years. I'm newly diagnosed with PCOS (facial hair, acne, and VERY irregular periods. My weight isn't bad but I should loose 10-20 lbs). My husband and I have been TTC for the past 7 months. We haven't told anyone other then our best friends about our trying. The problem is that I haven't had a period in over 6 months...you kind of need that to get pregnant. I went to the doctors last month and they finally got back to be on Thursday of last week. My blood work shows that I do not have PCOS but my ovaries say I do. My doctor has sent my information to a OBGYN, which hasn't contacted me yet with an appointment to discuss their findings and to tell me more about my PCOS. I feel like this is a death sentence to my ever having children. Not that it is 100% that I will never have kids but it will take time. The whole weekend it took everything out of me to even get out of bed. Still no word from the doctor and I have just found out that they have gone on vacation until next week. Every morning my husband and I get on our knees and pray that God will help me with my nerves and my patience. I just hate the fact that I know I have PCOS but I really don't know anything about it and if I can have kids or not. I just hate not knowing anything. Okay I am done whining, I'm just a little sad this week. God bless all of you and have a wonderful night.

Replies

• singanote
    Options
    Hi, Kate,

I'm sorry I didn't see your note this week! I'm glad you're here.

First of all, you CAN have cystic ovaries without having PCOS, although I do admit that the facial hair and acne would make me suspicious that you might. I was diagnosed 14 years ago at age 30 but, at least back then (and for quite a while afterwards), I had to advocate for myself a lot and look for a doctor that knew what they were talking about. You may want to strongly consider looking for a reproductive endocrinologist (or even a "regular" endo), as they are more likely to have knowledge of the "bloodwork" portion of PCOS and be able to rule out (or in) that diagnosis.

In the meantime, even women with PCOS do become pregnant, so it is not necessarily a "death sentence", especially at your young age. Concentrate on one step at a time: (1) Pray for wisdom and strength, (2) Work to get an accurate diagnosis, (3) Find a doctor that will help you work towards your goals, (4) Keep praying!.

Let me know if I (and we here) can be of support to you, ok?

Blessings,
    Kristina (Singanote)