Barefoot racing this year

Options
At this point my longest race (in shoes) has been a half marathon. I started running last fall in minimalist shoes and have been doing more and more barefoot running over the last few months. So far I am up to 5 miles barefoot in training.

Anyone planning on running any races barefoot this year?

I would like to run a 5k barefoot as soon as the temp gets above 32 degrees F/0 C. My main concern at that point will not be the temp but the leftover salt(and sometimes chemicals) on the roads used to melt the winter ice. Can anyone comment on how to deal with this?

I have ran on trails already at around 32 degrees F/0 C without too many problems. I normally would prefer the street/asphalt barefoot since it is easier to see what I am stepping on. Is there an easy solution to dealing with leftover salt on the road? Should I just wait until later into the Spring for my first barefoot race?

What is the longest distance you have ever raced barefoot? I would like to eventually be able to run barefoot just as far as I can with shoes (at the moment that is a half marathon).

Replies

• nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Good question.
    I look forward to hearing peoples answers.
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first barefoot half in April. I'm up to 8 miles so far on my long runs. I'm in California, so I don't have to deal with road chemicals or salt. From what I've read on the forum at The Barefoot Runners Society (http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/), it is nasty stuff to run on. Stay off of it if you can.

I've done a couple 5k fun runs barefoot so far.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first barefoot half in April. I'm up to 8 miles so far on my long runs. I'm in California, so I don't have to deal with road chemicals or salt. From what I've read on the forum at The Barefoot Runners Society (http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/), it is nasty stuff to run on. Stay off of it if you can.

I've done a couple 5k fun runs barefoot so far.

Thank you. I will check out that website and do my best to avoid salt/road chemicals
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I run in Vibram FiveFingers Bikila LS and so far my 2 longest runs were 6 & 5 miles. I just entered the lottery for the Broad Street Run in Philly so at 10 miles that will be my longest -- I start training for it next week.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I run in Vibram FiveFingers Bikila LS and so far my 2 longest runs were 6 & 5 miles. I just entered the lottery for the Broad Street Run in Philly so at 10 miles that will be my longest -- I start training for it next week.

I love my Bikilas (in my current picture). That being said, to be clear when I said barefoot I really meant completely barefoot (not even my vibrams). Right now I am planning on running an 8k barefoot on March 24th
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

I love my Bikilas (in my current picture). That being said, to be clear when I said barefoot I really meant completely barefoot (not even my vibrams). Right now I am planning on running an 8k barefoot on March 24th

I haven't run barefoot in the snow but I've worn the skin off my feet before. I'd suggest just keep working on building up the calluses so you are okay. Also try sports tape for your toes and balls of your feet. Good luck man!
  • delevinson
    delevinson Posts: 2
    Options
    I ran as much as I could without shoes this past winter here in Chicago. The low temperatures were generally not a problem down to about 30 degrees (I dressed otherwise extra-warmly). But icemelt on the road made it a bad idea. That stuff is nasty on your skin! I'd have a burning sensation on my feet for days afterward. If there's icemelt around at all, it's best to wear some foot covering.

We had a warm snap in January, so I did a 10K mud run on trails with no shoes. In August I'm going to do a trail half (Dances with Dirt) in Wisconsin. No shoes is really the most fun for me, and I have much less post-run soreness than compared to any kind of running in shoes.

David