2013 Indiana Runs

Options
Coolhand1969
Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
I found a great site with a lot of runs for the year laid out in a simple plain format. The rest of the thread can be used to discuss if anyone is attending any of them (special threads could be made if we get several people all running the same event and plan to meet up). Also, if anyone has runs not on this site, please post them here...

http://www.indyrunners.org/race-calendar.aspx

Replies

• Coolhand1969
    Options
    I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance I'm going to run the Shamrock 5k/10k in Yorktown, IN on 3/16... It's close to me, and I've spent a lot of time running there while my kid is in wrestling practice there...
  • jobryan4
    jobryan4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good link. Not sure that I'll do many runs but pretty sure I'll do the July triathlon at Eagle Creek. Are you going to do the 5K or 10K for the Shamrock?
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    Good link. Not sure that I'll do many runs but pretty sure I'll do the July triathlon at Eagle Creek. Are you going to do the 5K or 10K for the Shamrock?

Not sure which yet - probably 5k as it's pretty soon. I'm hoping to do a 10k by summer time-ish but I don't think I'm quite ready yet.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    The Groundhog 7 is this Sunday, February 3, up in Zionsville. "Entry fee" is some canned goods or other non-perishable food for the Gleaners Food Bank. You can register online up to 11:59 AM on Friday, February 1 (no fee is charged).

Where and when: Zionsville High School, 1000 Mulberry St., Zionsville; Sunday, February 3 at 1:00 PM

Why: It's Superbowl Sunday--running 7 miles is a great way to earn some nachos and beer!

More info and registration link: http://www.indyrunners.org/view-content.aspx?sectionID=17
  • shaneeeast
    shaneeeast Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    GREAT link Jay! THANKS!!

I've been looking into the the Biggest Loser 5K Run/Walk out in Laurel, IN on 4/27. It's listed in your link and here's the FaceBook page for the event.

http://www.facebook.com/events/list#!/events/414186771996761/

I've got my wife and roommate talked into going.... working on more.... :-) But first, I think I need to get signed up for some 5Ks between now and then... :happy:
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great, Ill check out the site. I don't have any race plans til the Spartan Sprint on 4/27
  • Pricanma13
    Pricanma13 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    great link, hopefully I can get in some good runs before the Mini
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    great link, hopefully I can get in some good runs before the Mini
    Are you doing the training series for the Mini? Starts a week from tomorrow.

2013 Training Series Dates
    5K - Saturday, February 9, 2013
    10K - Saturday, March 9, 2013
    15K - Saturday, April 6, 2013
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    http://www.indianatrails.com/content/indianapolis-trail-system

I wanted to preserve this link from jhtellas in this thread also...
  • ksyn22
    ksyn22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am doing the "Color Me Rad" 5k on Sept 14th at the state fairgrounds. I didn't see it on the calendar. I'm using my C25k app and my goal is to jog the entire time without walking intervals.
    Thanks for sharing the calendar link~!
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    I am doing the "Color Me Rad" 5k on Sept 14th at the state fairgrounds. I didn't see it on the calendar. I'm using my C25k app and my goal is to jog the entire time without walking intervals.

If you haven't yet, check out the c2k5 (couch to 5k) program ( http://c25k.com ). There are many free apps for it also. It will easily have you running the entire time way before then...
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options

I am signed to do this one, too! My profile pic is from doing it last year. LOVED doing this 5k!
  • HRBush
    HRBush Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I am signed to do this one, too! My profile pic is from doing it last year. LOVED doing this 5k!

I did the Color Me Rad last year too! I had a blast! I plan on doing it again this year. They are also having the Color Run (pretty much the same race) in Indy on 7/20 I believe.

I have also looked into doing the Rock the Relay on 4/13. You get a team together to run 2.2 mile loops around the White River state park and your team as a whole will accomplish a marathon. If you have a team of 6 you end up doing 2 - 2.2 mile loops.
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    A relay team of MFP members would be fabulous! :smile:
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    A relay team of MFP members would be fabulous! :smile:

I created a separate thread to see if we can get six people...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/879734-4-13-rock-the-relay
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Cool link. I wish had enough $ to do a bunch on runs this spring/summer/fall. So far I'm only signed up for the Spartan Sprint. I'll probably end up running in the Shamrock 4 mile and hopefully a couple of others. I did Color Me Rad last year and had fun, but not sure if I'll run it again...
  • cassandraallegre
    Options
    I'm using my C25k app and my goal is to jog the entire time without walking intervals.

I love c25k!!! It's nice that it totally does it all for you and you just have to do what it says! :)
  • miskit65
    miskit65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am considering doing the 500festival mini.......I'm new to running .....any advice?
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    I am considering doing the 500festival mini.......I'm new to running .....any advice?

If you haven't done c2k5 (couch to 5k) yet, I'd recommend starting with that. Everyone also says go to a running shop and get your gait alanlyzed and get a good pair of shoes off that analysis. (although I bought a pair of Vibram five fingers and have been running quite happily with them ever since without following that advice)
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Do it! Before I signed up I was pretty self conscious and intimidated because I am pretty sure most people walk faster than I run. However, once I got there and stood in the back few (slow people) corrals, I realized I was surrounded by many first timers as well. That was pretty liberating. It wasn't until about mile 3 that I actually felt like a member of the club and realized I was actually doing it. If you have to walk a bit, no biggie.

Just make sure you save enough to RUN past the Sons of Silence motorcycle gang clubhouse.
    Not Kidding.
    http://tinyurl.com/anasapy

I also agree with coolhand. Get the right shoes. It makes a world of difference!