Tennis Specific Workouts?

Options
Common89
Common89 Posts: 10 Member
I live in Colorado where December - February is usually a pretty bad time to play tennis because of the weather (unless you can afford indoor court time, which I cannot).I am excited to start playing competitively in the Spring once I get this body back into shape.

I was curious of any of you had come across exercise routines that are specifically geared towards tennis players? Doesn't have to take place on a tennis court necessarily, but I think I'd be even more motivated to work out if I knew how each workout would improve my game.

Thanks!

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    http://tenniswod.blogspot.com/

Here's a link. I don't know anything about the website. I just came across it once. It looks like they design Crossfit-type workouts -- that is, workouts that are a combination of cardio training and strength training, and something different every day.
    I know I have also seen that Tennis magazine has a fitness issue every year, that includes tennis specific exercises in it. Maybe Google it?
    I have also seen youtube videos of the gym workouts of Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. Maybe try Googling those.
    It didn't really seem that they were super specific workouts for tennis. Rather, they were just good conditioning workouts, with a little bit of strength training.
    And, I suspect that is really what you need. A workout that gets your heart rate up, but that spares you a bit from the repetition and pounding of sprinting on hard courts and hitting tennis balls all the time.
    Ivan Lendl used to jog. Carolyn Wozniacki rides an exercise bike, fast, for an hour after matches. Andre Agassi had that conditioning coach, Gil Reyes. He made Andre run up hills -- until he puked !
    I know that Bobby Knight, the basketball coach, was super strict about cardiovascular fitness. He made his players run and run and run. They once measured his players's hearts, and compared them to other teams, and his players's hearts were bigger. Knight thought that a fair number of games come down to the final quarter, or the final minutes, and if his team was not out of gas, and the other team was, his team had a huge advantage.
    I suspect the same is true for tennis.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to strengthen everywhere to improve tennis! I have been doing a lot of squats to help me get to those drop shots!
    I would think shoulder exercises would be great for the rotator cuff for serving. And core work! It all helps!!
    I can't wait for outdoor tennis too! I play indoors all winter, but would rather be outdoors!!
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've been doing p90x & insanity. I've also been running once or twice a week.

I've been playing indoors once a week and I can tell my fitness has greatly improved. Last year I'd get tired playing indoors for 1.5 hours not switching sides playing sets, but this year I still break a sweat but I can tell my fitness has improved so much.

Can't wait to see what this new fitness regimen is going to do in this years leagues

I've also been going for the big flat 1st serve more since my legs are stronger. A lot of times I'd save that serve for when needed and just do a kick serve for my 1st serve because I didn't want to get too tired.
  • MarkC1963
    MarkC1963 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Here's my weekly routine:
    Monday, 6 am 45 minutes in gym doing:
    1) 2,000 meter rowing in 10 minutes (leisurely warmup),
    2) Core: (stomach, waist, shoulder, chest) then 2 laps around gym track (get heart rate higher), then 20 reps of overhead chops with right arm on cable machine 42.5 lbs weight, then take a lap (breakdown lactose acid in muscles), then another 20 reps, then take a lap, then another 20 reps, then take a lap. Repeat this procedure for left arm (i.e. 20 reps, lap, 20 reps, lap, 20 reps, lap)
    3) Core: (cable crunches-stomach) 30 reps at 67 lbs cable weight, then take a lap, then another 30 reps, then another lap.
    4) cool down: 2 leisurely laps around gym track
    Monday, lunchtime, 45 minutes on ball machine (ground strokes) at courts
    Monday, evening 90 minute mens tennis clinic
    Tuesday, 6 am 45 minutes in gym doing:
    On Tuesday, same as Monday, start with rowing and laps then I work exclusively shoulder, chest and back exercises in the gym the same way (20 rep sets X 3 with laps in between to stay mixed anarobic/cardio) and cool down laps.
    Tuesday lunch time hit with hitting partner 45 minutes. Tuesday night doubles round robbin for 2 hours at club.
    Wednesday, same as Monday, start with rowing and laps then I work exclusively legs, calves, thighs exercises in the gym the same way (20 rep sets X 3 with laps in between) and finish with cool down laps. Wednesday lunch time hit with ball machine (volleys, overheads and lobs). Wednesday night take a break for family time.
    Thursday, same as Monday in gym. Thursday at lunch hit with hitting partner. Thursday night, round robbin doubles night.
    Friday, same as Tuesday in gym, at lunch time practice serving for 45 minutes, Friday night is date night with wife (biweekly we play tennis and socialize with a group of friends).
    Saturday, no gym but play 2.5 hours in a mens group round robbin doubles.
    Sunday, no gym but hit with ball machine for 45 minutes (what ever I need to work on that week).
    I'm modifying this all a bit as I decided to try competing for the first time in the USTA, joined a mens doubles league which starts April 29th.
    I wear a Bodymedia FIT LINK armband and earn typically 800-1,000 extra calories a day from these routines. I am a 5'10" medium frame at 151 lbs and only need 1,000 calories without exercise so I typically consume daily around 1,600+ calories. I take GNC Men's Sports Vitamin supplements, Fish Oil pills and I follow the Mediterranean diet religiously. Two years ago, before exercise and MFP, I was 248 lbs, pre-diabetic, high cholesterol, high BP and now I'm off all meds for these conditions and in the best shape of my life. I turn 50 years old May 22nd and yet I can compete and win against 20 somethings on the courts. I started playing last year with the goal of joining the USTA this year. I now play with 3.5 - 4.0 NTRP rated players but self rated in the USTA at 3.0 level due to my lack of past experience. My goal is to consistently play at a 4.0 level by the end of this year and play with 4.0+ players next year on a team. Love tennis!!!
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    WOW! what a schedule of workouts! and WOW, I looked at your profile and your transformation is amazing. I am playing singles for my USTA team for the first time this season and I was feeling a little nervous, but you have inspired me. This weekend's tennis schedule for me is ladies doubles tonight. Saturday at 1 drills with my ladies spring USTA team then Saturday at 5, over 40 usta mixed doubles, Sunday at 10 mixed doubles.