High blood sugar??

Options
Spartan_Guy
Spartan_Guy Posts: 30 Member
Hi all,

I had bloodwork done today, and I'm concerned about a couple of numbers. First, a little background: I was diagnosed with CD when I was 2, and have now been gf for 30 years (I'm 32). I've always been in great health, was a competitive swimmer for more than a decade, and never had elevated levels of anything (except awesomeness :D). I was really lucky to have been diagnosed so young, especially since CD was relatively unknown at the time. I'm 6'1'', weigh 179 (used to weigh around 165, but then bulked up in muscle). I've had a six-pack since my swimming days, so I've never been overweight.

Anyway, my fasting blood sugar this morning was 106, which is in the prediabetic range. The doc said not to panic, and just keep an eye on it going forward, maybe getting retested in a few months. Thing is, I track what I eat, the only carbs I take in are from fruits and veggies. Because I grew up without bread, cakes, cookies, pastas, etc, I really don't eat that stuff now. You can check out my diary--greek yogurt and a banana for breakfast, salad for lunch, salad for dinner with the occasional chicken breast, salmon, or tuna (I have tuna or salmon at least twice a week). My midmorning snack is a handful of organic walnuts and a clementine; same for my afternoon snack. And that's it. I work out every day, doing kickboxing for an hour MWF and crossfit on Tues. and Thurs.

So, I'm curious about this elevated blood sugar. I did eat sweet potatoes with dinner last night, but that was a full 13 hours before my test. Has anyone had any experience with CD leading to elevated blood sugar levels? Is my lifelong/general avoidance of breads, grains, etc making it difficult for my body to process carbs/sugar? Anyone know of a connection between CD and blood sugar levels? I could cut out some of the fruit I eat, but I really don't want to eliminate fresh fruit from my diet--that seems counterproductive. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There is a connection between celiac and diabetes, but it sounds like you're doing everything possible to prevent diabetes.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about one elevated blood sugar...what was your day like? Have you been sick? Stressed? On any medications? Keep up what you're doing and follow up with your MD. If it's elevated again, ask for a Hgb A1c which will give you an idea of what your blood sugars have been running over the last 6-12 weeks.
  • Spartan_Guy
    Spartan_Guy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!

I'll follow up with my doc and see. Over the last 6-8 weeks I suffered through both the new super-norovirus and the flu, so I'm sure my levels have been all over the map. So, I may wait a month or two and then schedule the followup so I can see where I am.

I'm also adopted, so it's really important that I stay on top of this, as I have no idea what I might be predisposed to.
  • SwanBuch
    SwanBuch Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also steroids will cause elevated blood sugar levels. You can find them in both oral and atopical treatments for a variety of ailments.
  • pepgab
    pepgab Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ok -- this is going to sound crazy but here goes -- you might not have enough carbs at night. When I pregnant with my second child I was already diagnosed with CD -- I also had gestdational diabetes. I had to make sure that I ate at least 15 grams of carbohydrates with a protein each night as a snack before bed. I made a little cups of brown rice and beef tips and put them in a freezer. I am sure you can use a different protein. (Make sure it is not a product made to be GF -- you want to chose a complex carb that is natually GF.) It helped my morning blood sugars for a while until the crazy pregnancy hormones took over. I only had to take insulin for 3 weeks of my pregnancy and I only took it at night for my morning sugars. Your body knows that it has to breakdown stored glycogen each morning to get you started for your day, so for some reason if you give your body some little extra carbs at night the morning sugars go down. At least this is what my GD nutritionist told me.

And yes there is a connection between CD and diabetes. I suggest that you have an a1c pulled, too. I can tell you it is really hard to manage both. Good luck.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Check out www.mariahealth.blogspot.com & you may very well find your answer there. She has some really interesting info on how foods that are suppose to be good for you can still cause blood sugar spikes & she also offers some alernative recipe's.