Things people say about Huskies... (and Mals)

Options
Nearly every time we walk our dog (well, aside from the times I run her at 5.30am) we get stopped and asked questions about her.

Some of the things that people say are really quite bizzarre. The most bizzare ones I have come across relate to her eyes:

Some quotes from kids:

"Is he blind miss?"
"oooh, look - its got one brown eye... and one other eye"
"it must be like that because its from the snow"
"Is that a wolf?"

(not that it snows where I live, but you know, kid logic, oh and also, there are no wolves in New Zealand either, but we wont let the truth get in the way of something like that)

Then some from adults - generally these ones are from know-it-alls:

"It wont be a pure bred with eyes like that" - ok, why dont' you take that up wtih the Kennel Association?
"It is cruel to have those dogs in Auckland where it doesn't snow."
"Those dogs are dangerous, they are very vicious"
And my favourite "ohmygodyourdogissoooooooooooocute" - yeah, I know.

I have to say (in my dog's defence), that she is not dangerous, or vicious, and she would probably happily trade the family silver for a pat on the head if you left her in charge. She barked once when someone reached up to pat our cat sitting on the top of the fence. Other than that, she is a useless guard dog.

What have people said to you about your dog?!

Replies

• runderhi
    runderhi Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey ! Just saw this group now yaay !

So my beauty Ripley is loving the cold wet weather we are getting in Ireland at the moment. She gets a really long walk every day with my husband to tire her out a bit because as you know they have tons of energy. Lots of my friends say she is scary looking and Wolf like and others melt when they see her and I also get the OMGsheisooooooooocute !! reaction - funny.

But as for dangerous and scary - my Ripley is a ball of fluffy love and will lick you to death if you let her and will cling to you in the hope of getting even the teeniest bit of love and effection ( of which she gets non stop might I add ) and would be happy with just a quick cuddle. She minds us really well but a guard dog ?? LOL nope indeed - we have our Boxer Ruby to mind the house for us - and she is super loving too.

Yeah sometimes Huskies get a bad rap - and it is purely because people dont know the breed - when they see me coming on the days I walk both they run cos I am walking 2 mean looking ladies LOL !!! If only they knew :)
  • leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I always get "he's so beautiful!!!" when Buck and I are out walking.
    I also get "he won't bite will he?"

All I say is thanks to the first comment and if you're close enough to ask me if he'll bite, you're good to go because you'd never get close enough to consider petting if he didn't like you!

Some teens walking down the alley were startled one day while he was in the back yard. He jumped up to look over the top of the fence. One of the commented that he looked like a small bear......He's big and fluffly right now, but I dunno if I'd call him a bear lol
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sighhhh lol.. I get "OMG look at that big husky" and "omg HE'S such a BIG boy".

She's a girl.. and she's an Alaskan Malamute lol

Pisses me off intensely. I actually have had a t-shirt made up.. saying, she's not a husky, she's a malamute!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I've gotten...Is he blind with those blue/whitish eyes? Someone even asked why isn't his tongue black? He's not a Chow doesn''t look anything like a chow..oh the best I heard was a group of kids walking down the alley beside the house...They said, "Watch out that house has a wolf!!" OK if you think so...lol...love my Husky...as many of you love your Husky, Malmute, or any other pet you have.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    They always call her "he". One blue eye and one brown...is she blind?

Um hell no, she's not walking into walls, is she??
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i get the wolf question all the time for parker (my mal mix) and i get the is she vicious question for jazzy (my akita).

jazzy always gets called he. i stopped correcting people.

oh and my favorite: is he part horse (because parker is so big). why yes he is. i am proud to be owned by the ONLY half dog half horse animal in the world.

comment made by the neighborhood ummmm..... misguided youngster: i wouldn't want to come to your house if you weren't home (pointing at jazzy my akita) with her around. ummm yes that is the point glad to know my plan is working.

last but not least: are they walking you? why yes they are.