How do you all do it??

Options
raecork
raecork Posts: 34 Member
Okay so I have been trying to get healthy again, eat right exercise. I have 4 kids and not a heap of money for a gym membership or exercise equipment, when the weather nice I try to get out with the stroller and the 2 youngest while the other two are in school. I have tried the P90X videos but get too sore after a few days and stop. I know I just have to make myself the priority, but it's soo hard.Looking for any and all advice including healthy food I have tried the eating small meals every two hours, and that just seems to make me hungrier. and to round this out I am exhausted and get frequent headaches. I'm new to MFP and love the tools and I am determined to get back to the way I was before all these kids!

Replies

• ebuchanan81
    Options
    Hi I have 3 kids and it does get hectic. I try to get up early and work out in the morning. I usually walk or do videos. I also try to work in some time after the kids go to bed.
  • lizjohnson2169
    Options
    I have two boys and one on the way. The biggest thing for me as far as healthy eating is getting your entire family involved. It's too tempting to not eat junk when my husband does. He has always said he doesn't care what we have for dinner, so he can't complain when I make him whole wheat low calorie meals. As far as exercising you don't need the gym or any exercise equipment. For weights fill empty milk jugs with water and use them as free weights. If you can't afford an elliptical run in place. You can do that in small spaces and get the kids involved. It might feel sillh at first, but it is a workout. Just like acting as if you are jumping rope without the rope. I don't like running in front of people so I'll go to our basement where our gym is at and jog in place. You can also Google other creative ideas for exercise without spending money. I hope this helps! (:
  • AnHadley1987
    AnHadley1987 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My little boy is going to be 10 months old in 2 weeks, I started running around the 2nd week after giving birth (during my 3 mile walks, I'd add some runs) and then around 6 weeks I started training for my Half Marathon that I ran in October at 6 months post pregnancy. I don't have any time to go to the gym, so I just run. Right now I still have 10 lbs to go, my body has become very efficient at burning a low amount of calories even though I am now running 23 miles a week. I run whenever I get the chance, either DH or my mom watches my son and they both have a schedule of their own. I do suppress myself when it comes to eating, so when I finally give in I can end up binging on things like Sun Maid Cinnamon Raisin Swirl bread, or dark chocolate. I try to keep my calories between 1200-1600 on days that I don't run, and I try not to let it go above 1900 on the days that I run 5, 6 or 9 miles.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hiya, that must be so great. I have one son and we so want another. Even though I only have one , still hard to fit in exercise w work, taking care of chores, etc.....especially when my husband travels and am alone. So the biggest discovery for me this time around is
    1. A 50 min walk burns about 300 cals, the same as A 30 min intense workout
    2. I thought I'd hate working out at home but I love it. Loads of exercise videos on YouTube

Feel free to add me
  • raecork
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think the biggest hurdle I have right now is motivation. I was an avid runner, walk/ran right up to my due date with my 2nd and ran about 60 km's per week after my second I just took her joggin with me in the stroller. Starting running after third and got back up to about 25 km's a week then After our surprise fourth child arrived six months ago I yearn for the old me back. I feel amazing when I work out, but the P90X videos are just beyond my fitness level now, so then I feel sore. I have bee researching circuit workouts on the internet and am going to try that. I can't always get out with the stroller and the two with winter weather..but really it's just all excuses and I can't seem to stop making them. Thanks fo rthe tip on the you tube videos. I can't restrict my calories too much as I am still breastfeeding and don't want to risk lowering my milk supply, but any suggestions on nutrient rich foods that will stick to my ribs would be greatly appreciated.
  • MoodieMama
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself (if only I could listen to my own advice). You are busy, girl! I would suggest putting on workout clothes when you wake up - shoes and all and throughout the day get your workout where you can.

-do a squat when picking up toys.
    -do sit ups while baby is being an airplane on your legs
    -babies also make great weights while doing lunges (sp?)

humans are creatures of habit, so we just need to create the habit.
  • raecork
    Options
    I would suggest putting on workout clothes when you wake up - shoes and all and throughout the day get your workout where you can.

Love this idea! I just literally spent 30 trying to do a circuit routine, ( I have all four home with me today), not one exercise in, before they all started to go off. Now got everyone what they needed, baby to sleep. going to try it again...Wish me luck!
  • Siniharmaa
    Siniharmaa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have three kids, I work Mon-Fri and I am doing a degree online (plus I am the one who takes care of most of the chores at home). I definitely have my plate full and I am trying to squeeze in exercise 5-6 times a week. My saviour has been workout DVDs.. and finding DVDs that get the job done in 30 minutes, occasionally I have time for longer workouts. And my favourites are the workouts from Kelly Coffey-Meyer and her 30 Minutes to Fitness series. Even though it is "only" 30 minutes, you work hard for those minutes!

My problem with weightloss has been counting the calories.. counting them on paper gets very tedious (for me at least) so I end up giving up on it. So glad I found MFP! And I am looking forward to getting know other moms here so we can support each other!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have 2 kids and i work 10+ hour shifts starting between 3-7am. I work out after they go to bed, 2-3 times a week. I have a medicine ball and an adjustable dumbbell set. I get cardio in by going for walks with the family, and in better weather we go for bike rides and hikes. I don't get much sleep, except for weekends, I got a glorious 10 hours last night. It's a bit rough, but i'm making it work. Good luck to you, it can be really overwhelming at first, but it does get easier as you go.
  • raecork
    Options
    So I ended up finding an Elliptical trainer, and exercise while my kids nap, watch movies or play! I love it!! Again I think the biggest thing was motivation and that I was in a rut, MFP helps to make me accountable for the healthy or not so healthy choices I make.
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 and half year old and a one year old boy. I either have to workout in morning or when my 1 year old takes a nap.

It took me a while to get on a routine and of course some days the boys throw it off but I try to stay on track!