Weight Loss After Surgical Menopause

Options
I was diagnosed with uterine cancer at 36 and had a radical hysterectomy at that time. I was very lucky, in that surgery removed all of my cancer and 3 years later I remain cancer-free. That said, because of the cancer my doctors are not comfortable with having me take any type of HRT and I find that my metabolism has landed somewhere between comatose and corpse.

At this point I am exercising regularly and eating a well-balanced diet of whole foods, but in 5 months I have lost just about 8 pounds. My regular physician, gynecologist and oncologist all tell me to keep doing what I'm doing, but offer no other suggestions. I'm refusing to believe that at 39 I can't get to a fit and healthy place and I'd like to know if any other MFP members have had similar struggles and what, if any, suggestions you might have.

Replies

• gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also had uterine cancer and I've lost just over 70 pounds since my surgery in April 2012, but I had a lot more to lose. The weight loss has slowed quite a bit in the last month -- hopefully it will pick up again soon. I think everybody is different and you just need to keep working at it. You can experiment with eating less or eating more. Some find that cutting carbs to help. I've reduced my intake to around 100g a day (I'm diabetic, so I have to watch the carbs). Make sure you drink enough water. Good luck and don't give up!
  • meljones
    meljones Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 32 and had a radical hysterectomy November 30th. I am starting to notice the same thing. If you do find anything that helps will you share?? I knew that the hormones might affect weight loss but i geuss i was just hoping it would'nt!!

And congrats on 3 years!!
  • ColleenRep
    ColleenRep Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi I was 26 when i was diagniosed with Uterine cancer and had a radical hysterectomy Feburary 2012. I would recommend going to see a nutritionist. I when earlier this year and it has helped me so much! I too try (lol) to keep my carbs at 100g a day cause I also have PCOS. Good luck and Keep it up! you are doing a great job!
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would second the advice to see a nutritionist. My doctor referred me to one while I was going through chemo and radiation, to make sure I was eating enough and getting enough nutrients. My insurance actually covers 5 visits under the same coding, so I had to option to go back and see her if I wanted to again.

My cancer was not hormone related (it was a tumor on my olfactory nerve called an esthesioneuroblastoma), but I am having major hormonal issues since I finished chemo in January. No menstrual cycle, hot flashes and my hormone levels in February were testing as post-menopausal. My doc put me on an anti-depressant (effexor), to help with the hot flashes (which it has), but I'm not losing any weight either. I'm trying to give myself a few months to get back in the swing of things, but it's frustrating. I'm hoping when I get checked in May that at least my hormone levels have started to go back up. It seems like I finished treatment so long ago, but I have to remind myself that it's only been about 3 months.