First Time going to Gym- Help!!

Options
Ok, So in trying to reach my goals I am going to join a gym.
My aunt is starting this journey and me and her will go together.
Problem is- We've never ever been and I have no idea what to do.

I think we're going to Fitness USA.

What should I do?

What machines do i use?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Jackie

Replies

• EmilyJZ
    EmilyJZ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your fitness level. Right now, because I haven't excercised since I was an egg, I am riding the recumbent bike for 30 and walking on the treadmill at a moderate pace (for me is 2.5. woe) for 60 but I am so damn sore the next day. I should mention I have been doing that for a month and am still working up to incorporating other exercises. I see some people on here lift weights 30 and do cardio for an hour 6 days a week. I am not at that level yet. Try it all out. You'll find what you can do easily, what you can do with effort and what really should wait for a month or so. If you have the money see if you can get a trainer for one visit or if you spot a friendly on the bike next to you, engage them in conversation and see what they like so you can get ideas for the future.

Good Luck!! You'll do great!
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If it's your first time at the gym you should ask an employee to give you a tour and show you how to work the machines. The treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes are fairly self explanatory but the weight equipment can be a little confusing to figure out.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If its a decent gym they will walk you around, write a program for you based on what you want to do and show you the equipment
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If it's your first time at the gym you should ask an employee to give you a tour and show you how to work the machines. The treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes are fairly self explanatory but the weight equipment can be a little confusing to figure out.

this! Good luck!! :)
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Going to a gym can be very intimidating. Don't worry about all the equipment. Eventually you will be able to use most of it. But some, you may never use. (Not because you couldn't but you just don't want to.)

For the first day, I'd work only on cardio. I've been walking on a treadmill. Some people like ellipticals. (I can't do an elliptical. I've tried. I'll try again some time.) A bike is another option.

If you try a class, make sure it's a beginner class. And don't feel bad if you can't keep up. My friend who is a (super skinny) fitness nut who teaches classes, couldn't keep up with a Zumba class. If there are moves you don't understand or can't do, just keep moving. step back and forth or walk in place.

Many gyms offer 1 free session with a trainer. I would schedule that soon. The trainer will see what your current levels are and suggest a series of workouts. If they don't offer a free session, you might see if you can work one session into your budget. It's hard to know where to set the weights. If you go too heavy, you could hurt yourself. But if you go too light, you might not be getting the proper workout.

Try not to be intimidated by the skinny Minnies. Some have always been "gym rats" and have never been a pound overweight. But others have worked hard to get where they are. And many will be happy to help you get started on the road!
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ^Thanks a lot guys!
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    One of my best experiences at a gym was at Anytime Fitness. The employee was very good with helping me get set up and I started talking to one of those skinny minny's. She was busting her butt, seriously working up a sweat. Turns out the woman had lost over 130 lbs. Proof it can be done. Your biggest challenge is yourself, make sure you are walking through that door like clockwork.