Rivendell to Lonely Mountain

Options
sjmitchner
sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
Saw original idea of walking/run/bike miles for Bag End to Rivendell, and thought I'd suggest continuing the journey. Total miles would be 570 miles. Plenty of time to get it done too. If any one is interested in I'd like to start next month (Feb).

Replies

• sperocras
    sperocras Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Interesting. How would this work? We pledge to walk 570 miles (917km) within a certain time period? How do we measure it? Yeek, that's a long way.
  • sjmitchner
    Options
    I have gps feature with my jogging app, so I planned to track with that, and use a spreadsheet to keep my total mileage. I hadn't decided how long to run this for yet. I kinda wanted to see who was interested. I know not everyone is running (myself included) But I do walk/jog every other day. At two miles a day it would take 285 days, 3 miles a day 190 days. I personally want to step up my activity level, so I'm ok with doing 3 or so miles a day. Or I'd be open to doing a smaller leg of the journey. I just think it would be totally awesome to do the full distance.
  • sperocras
    Options
    It totally would be awesome to do the whole journey. I think you should do it. I'll be the hobbit behind you, distracting the dragons ;)
  • sjmitchner
    Options
    I was sitting eating my breakfast and decided that although I want to do this, I feel it would be cheating to not start at the beginning. Therefore I am going to start from Hobbiton as suggested in the original post. It is still my intention to do the second half, but I think it'll be more interesting to do the whole thing. I will post an update every other day (barring injury/power outage, ect) Still time for folks to join in!
  • sjmitchner
    Options
    Total Miles For Journey: 967 miles
    Miles Done: 4.5
    Miles to Go: 962.5
  • sperocras
    Options
    Okay, I'm planning/hoping to buy myself a treadmill desk for my birthday, so I may be able to join you on this journey after all. I wonder if we're the only nerdfighters left on here...?
  • sjmitchner
    Options
    Heh, I'm starting to wonder. It'd be great to have some company!
  • sperocras
    Options
    Okay, so guess what?? I've started walking! I hopped on a treadmill after work today and it was awesome, so I'm planning on doing it again. After doing the math, I see I only walked two miles, which, wow doesn't seem like very far, but every journey, single step, and so on.
  • sjmitchner
    Options
    That's awesome! I've been crazy busy the last week or so, I've been walking/jogging, but haven't logged it. I will start posting again on Monday. Lets complete this challenge!
  • sperocras
    Options
    I've started logging on the first challenge thread - Bag End to Rivendell. It's a shorter distance and therefore less daunting for poor me ;)
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    WHOOT !