Fight the stereotype

Options
I don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but people assume you are either fat, or a sex fiend or both with you say Witch or more specifically Wiccan. Anyone else have to deal with that? I am trying to get into shape to avoid dealing with the first stereotype.

Replies

• redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Omg yes! Here's one for you. I have very long hair. It's past my butt. Twelve years ago, I cut my hair to two inches in length. I was told by a few "witches" that I would loose my "powers". I literally laughed at them. I shook my head and told them that there was something wrong with them!

I have known so many odd stereotypes for witches.

Hang in there! Continue to prove those people wrong. I'm working on loosing weight myself and becoming healthier. So far, I've lost 60 pounds.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and they expect Goth, too.

I'm regularly told, by mundane people, that they didn't expect me to be pagan because I don't seem the "type". I've always wondered where exactly the stereotype comes from.

Then I meet witches online and go, "OH". Google has some weeeeeird pages about "wicca".....
    Though that first stereotype, like many stereotypes, has some basis in fact. The Wiccan ideal feminine beauty is "womanly" and full of self acceptance and love. Our size is, therefore, going to be bigger than the popular culture anorectic ideal. There's also a mean streak of celebration and self-indulgence in many of our rites which, naturally!, includes feasts. It's not called "Goddess Sized" for nothing.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I wonder how I had any power at all when I had no hair at all. lol

The stereotype also includes that you're white. I get few weird looks for being a non white earth based pagan.

I also get some looks when I say that because of the Goddesses and Gods I'm most drawn to, I feel spiritually driven to be in shape. But what is one to expect of a girl who honors warrior goddesses.