Nancy thumb?

Options
caribougal
caribougal Posts: 865 Member
Today was my first real WOD after finishing the foundations program, and we did "Nancy".

5 rounds
400m run
15 overhead squats with 15lb bar

On my 4th round of squats, my right thumb went numb. By the 5th round, the numbness spread up the inside of my forearm up to my inner elbow, along the radial nerve, I'm guessing.

Now it's 1.5 hours later, and it's still numb. Feels like my arm fell asleep and pins and needles when I press, especially at the top part of my thumb.

I'm guessing a pinched nerve from how I gripped the bar when it was overhead, or maybe because of how my elbow was positioned with the bar overhead?

Anyone ever get this?

Replies

• DaddyCrossfit
    DaddyCrossfit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'd guess it's an inflamed tendon, rather than nerve. That happens to me if I use certain grips, too much weight, or do a movement too fast...you'll figure it out eventually from trial and error. It took many weeks for mine to go away, but what helped was some simple stretches that I did before, during, and after my workouts (and throughout the day if bothering me). Go to youtube and search "golfers tennis elbow stretch"...see if those help you.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Not that no, but as soon as I get any niggles I stop and tell the coach. Did you tell anyone?

As you are new did someone show you and watch you to make sure you form was correct?

I try and always use to much weight as my coach agrees too and when working out in an AMRAP go fast.

Did you use a hook grip? Was that why? How did you hold the bar?

Dont take any sort of injury as trial and error, talk to someone and always ask.

Like DaddyCrossfit said, always stretch!! Youtube is good for looking at, just the CF ones though.

An amazing site for information and questions is the CF Journal, xx

Hope your feeling better now x
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I used an amazing diagnostic tool called "Google", and searched on "numb thumb overhead squat".

Seems I'm not alone!

I think it's a C6 nerve impingement... basically a cervical nerve issue in the neck. Probably because I must have had my head out too far when my shoulders were back with the bar overhead. So even though I feel it in my thumb and forearm, it's really a neck issue.

I had 2 coaches who were watching me most of the time. And... giving me constant feedback to tweak my form, which clearly needed a lot of tweaking. Just because they corrected me doesn't mean I actually did it right. I think what would happen is they would watch me, give me advice to change, I'd change. Then I'd do something else wrong.

I did snag a free adjustment at a good chiropractor so I can learn some appropriate stretches to help resolve it. It's less numb today, but still tingly.
  • DaddyCrossfit
    DaddyCrossfit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good ol' Google. Glad you got it figured out.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Good ol' Google. Glad you got it figured out.

Me too, really pleased for you. Yay google!

Glad you have a good chiropractor and have some tips, ;) x