birth control

Options
MrsCarter00
MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
Are any of you mommies thinking about getting on bc? I have an appointment to get the Nexplanon implant on Feb 7th and I'm so nervous!! I haven't been on bc in 3 years and I'm so afraid of weight gain since I've worked so hard over the past almost 2 years to get it off! I've been doing a lot of research on which method to go with and this one seems like it's the best option for me. Has anyone had it or have it?

Replies

• blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of it or know much about it, but my doctor recommended for the Mirena IUD. I am nervous about getting it done I have to wait till 10 weeks PP but I am excited to not have to worry about it for 5 years
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i have the Mirena. Ive only had it about 6 months and so far i love it. I dont have to worry about it and it has no effect on me what so ever. My milk supply is still great and i havent gained weight. Actually lost a bunch. :)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Although we do not want any more kids, we do not bother with birth control. After battling with infertility for 7 yrs without getting pregnant even once naturally, there is no reason to use.
    Anyway as far as weight gain/ loss goes I do not think a carefully chosen pill will interfere with your weight loss plans.
    Last year I was on the pill ( marvelon) , and I never lost weight that easyly ever before. It almost seemd that the pill speeded up my loss.
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Glad the mirena is working for you! I've heard some horror stories so I will not be using it! and I don't like the idea of something being up "there" if you know what I mean!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Although we do not want any more kids, we do not bother with birth control. After battling with infertility for 7 yrs without getting pregnant even once naturally, there is no reason to use.
    Anyway as far as weight gain/ loss goes I do not think a carefully chosen pill will interfere with your weight loss plans.
    Last year I was on the pill ( marvelon) , and I never lost weight that easyly ever before. It almost seemd that the pill speeded up my loss.

Until last year I never had to worry about BC! the only reason I was on it 3 yrs ago was to try to regulate my cycle. That's awesome that it may have aided in your weight loss! If the Nexplanon doesn't work for me, I will have it taken out. I've read a few bad things about it but mostly good so who knows..I know all methods have side effects that vary from person to person, I just hope weight gain and excessive bleeding aren't mine lol
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact name of the BC I'm currently taking- but it's commonly called the "half-pill". Since I'm breastfeeding, I only need half the strength, and I haven't noticed any weight gain. Ask your doctor about it!:)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see all of your responses...

I'm not on anything at the moment, and don't know if I want to be.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact name of the BC I'm currently taking- but it's commonly called the "half-pill". Since I'm breastfeeding, I only need half the strength, and I haven't noticed any weight gain. Ask your doctor about it!:)

Is it Cerazette? That's what they give you in England when you're breastfeeding. We call it the mini pill. It doesn't have oestrogen in it.

I used to take Cilest, which is the combined pill. I took it for years, from when I was about 21, and I lost weight while on ot. Not because of the pill, because of exercise/diet. I took it again when my first child was a few months old, and while it didn't stop me losing weight, it seemed to slow it down a bit. I haven't bothered with any BC after my 2nd child. Well, condoms. I get pregnant quite easily and I don't want a 3rd child just yet!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see all of your responses...

I'm not on anything at the moment, and don't know if I want to be.

I was like you wasn't sure I wanted to be on birth control especially when you read all the problems you could have like heart attack, stroke, blood clots, DVT, and then there is the heavy bleeding. When I went to my 6 week PP I talked to my doctor about it and told him the other ones that I have tried in the past. He suggested the IUD for me he says he has had great results over the years and had only 2 cases with issues. One was heavy bleeding and the other was it fell out with sexual activity with an object. I researched a bunch of them online and read all sorts of horror stories from the reviews and commercials on t.v. there seems to be a lawyer for every birth control on the market for something that went wrong. I told my doctor my concerns and he answered all my questions. I have taken birth control in the past and have never had anything seriously go wrong. I took the depo shot and gained a lot of weight and was taken off it plus my husband told me I had horrible mood swings I didn't notice it but he did. After my son I tried the Nuva ring had to stop that one because the stupid thing kept falling out after that didn't seem really effective to me plus it was new on the market at the time and now my doctor says that seems to be an issue with women who have delivered vaginally. I also need a birth control that is effective and I do not have to remember it everyday because I will forget it. I also do not need to have another child the ones I have are enough for me right now. After I have the IUD done I will let you all know how it is for me. I am really nervous about having it inserted, but I really like the idea of not having to worry about it for 5 years. Also with the depo shot I never had a period so hopefully that will happen with this one for me too.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Is it Cerazette? That's what they give you in England when you're breastfeeding. We call it the mini pill. It doesn't have oestrogen in it.

I used to take Cilest, which is the combined pill. I took it for years, from when I was about 21, and I lost weight while on ot. Not because of the pill, because of exercise/diet. I took it again when my first child was a few months old, and while it didn't stop me losing weight, it seemed to slow it down a bit. I haven't bothered with any BC after my 2nd child. Well, condoms. I get pregnant quite easily and I don't want a 3rd child just yet!

The name of mine is "Errin", but I think there's plenty out there just like it that do the trick. Never had an issue with it and love the security of knowing I'm not having another one until we are both ready!:) Good luck...
  • nicole2783
    nicole2783 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    After our 2nd child, I had the Mirena. I LOVED it! I had it taken out at the 5 year mark, and then we conceived our youngest 2 months later. He is 8 months old now, and I am hoping to get on the Mirena again. I didn't have any issues with it at all. Of course, not ever having a period was nice, too. ;)
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    After our 2nd child, I had the Mirena. I LOVED it! I had it taken out at the 5 year mark, and then we conceived our youngest 2 months later. He is 8 months old now, and I am hoping to get on the Mirena again. I didn't have any issues with it at all. Of course, not ever having a period was nice, too. ;)

Im glad to hear that! i have the mirena and haven't had a single problem and dont have periods either. Its so nice, that and not having to worry is great too!
  • ajbemine4ever27
    ajbemine4ever27 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i am in depo shot for 5 months now and so far im good with it, no weight gain i lose some actually, and still some breastfeed my baby. i love it because you dont have to take it everyday, im not good in reminding myself always take my bc on time. Depo shot is given to you every 3 months.
    In my second shot my period didnt came until now,my physician told me that in my second shot i will experience no menstruation or some little or few from your regular period, only disadvantage is......
    it makes your bone weak, as long your on depo shot, you need to take vitamin c and do regular exercise. but as soon you stop it, all will back to normal.
    im thinkin about implanon too but still thinkin twice need more reviews and research about it.
  • Jess3742a
    Jess3742a Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have ParaGard and am very happy with it. It's a non-hormonal IUD. I needed something that was worry free and preferred no hormones. This way I don't have to worry about it affecting my breastfeeding, or any of the side effects of other birth control options. Inserting it wasn't bad at all, and it's good for 10 years too :)
  • Tinker_and_Bash
    Tinker_and_Bash Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have Paragard, and it's fantastic. Extra hormones make me a bear to be around half the month, so Mirena or pills wouldn't work. Plus i don't have to take a pill every day. Just check it once a mnth and I'm golden :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    No experience with implants, but I'm probably going to go back on Ortho TriCyclen Lo after my periods start back up. I did really well on that with minimal side effects.
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all your input!! I went with the Nexplanon, actually got it implanted last Thursday. It's still a tad sore (lots of bruising) but other than trying to get used to the idea of something in my arm so far so good. It's still very early but I haven't noticed any changes in my mood, etc. If it doesn't workout I will probably look into getting the paragard a couple of you mentioned, I like the idea of no hormones!
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I was on the mini pill for 2 months but stopped because I noticed my milk supply was dropping a lot. Now that I'm not on birth control, my supply has come way back! We're also not actively trying to have a baby, but we're not trying to not have a baby either, if that makes any sense. :)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    @mewlingstork - interesting that the pill affected your supply. Definitely something to think about.

I've decided not to go on any BC. I think I want to get pregnant again before the end of 2013, so we're probably going to go the "not trying/not avoiding" approach, too.
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Trista & Laura yall are super women!!! Like seriously dude! :happy: Everything is great now but I guess I couldn't imagine having another right now because of my struggle with breastfeeding. If we do decide to have another I hope I'm more successful with it!