Excersice for props !

Options
Hey guys !

Since fall season is so far away and 7's starting in about 6 weeks or so here in Canada, what are good exercises for props? Looking to get in shape because i'm not a very big prop so i need all the extra muscle and cardio possible !

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing any strength training already? If not, I'd start with the big 3 - squats, deadlifts, bench press - and add some shoulder press and back work (lat pulldown/pullups and rows). If you're doing lineout lifts, progress into some clean & presses.

Just today I dropped enough weight now to be overweight, no longer obese - and I'm probably one of, if not THE smallest prop in my region and division (there are only 4 other teams lol), so I need to get to packing on some more muscle, PRONTO! :) We are just starting conditioning for our spring season next week, EEK.

Cardio, sprinting work. :) Especially for 7s!! Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    ^Just sayin, Shar knows her **** :). :drinker:

I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5 with team conditioning three times a week. StrongLifts 5x5 is a compound based program made up of squats, bench press, deadlifts, overhead press, and barbell rows. Every time you work out, you add five pounds to each lift (for me, I add five pounds at the end of the week for shoulder press). http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/ Ignore his hyper-masculine mumbo jumbo and just scroll down until you see the workout routine table, lol.

I reaaally like it. I'm also small prop, 5'3" and about 170. I've also added in push presses and I'm trying to learn how to power clean.

Good luck :flowerforyou: .
  • carlwhitley
    Options
    I was going to jump in an suggest the stronglift/madcow programme.

Basically, compound barbell moves and it'll encourage you to lift more, whilst also giving you a progression that you can see.

As a prop (I'm a hooker that sometimes moves over to prop), deadlift and squat will be your best exercises for building power. Deadlift is a great exercise as you're moving the weight with no opportunity for a 'bounce' in the stretch-shortening cycle of the muscles. The deadlift will target your back and legs, but it'll also work your grip, trapezius, hips and stomach muscles. The squat is another exercise that will also work your core and it'll get you used to bearing weight across the top of your traps and shoulders.

Since squatting and deadlifting more in the gym, I have definitely noticed an upturn in strength in the scrummage/tight. I had to play at tighthead on Saturday and was getting the better of the loosehead - he tried to collapse the scrummage, but due to deadlifting, I managed to pick him up to continue his misery for that scrummage.
  • Elucidate_my_life
    Options
    If you can recover quickly I would 'recommend' the 5x5 workouts. For me however that workout is far too much volume/sets. Nervous system is too exhausted, plus I find it boring. I like fast and hard lifting, not set after set lasting hours.

For me, I do the following and I find it really works and strength continually increases.

Bench press 3x 10, 8, 6 (making weight heavier each time I lower the reps - have a mate to help/spot you) rests as much as you feel you need between sets, 1-5 min. or do reverse pyramids, 6, 8, 10 making it lighter each time (could be safer for bench press - i do this if training on my own)
    front squats (reps sets as above, 10, 8, 6) or over head squats or dead lifts or Romanian dead lifts...choose different leg exercise each time
    pull up x 10 - 30 reps...have as many rest periods needed until all 30 done (some times done as my warm up)
    shoulder press/up right rows
    finisher (choose any exercise to finish your workout - all out. could be abs, power cleans, dead lifts, what ever and have high reps, 3 x 10 with 1 min rests)

do the workout 2-3 times per week - that is more than enough!

Failing all this do cross fit workouts...espec the thrusters - Gods gift to athletic weightlifting I think!

Done!