New rules of weight lifting for women

Options
Is anyone else doing this program? I'm reading the book at the moment and I really want to get into strength training a bit more as I am kind of doing weights sessions but they arent very structured and I probably wont progress well.

My main concern is protein. I always though I got plenty of protein coming in at about 70g a day but this book is telling me i need to eat about 125g a day!! I am planning on upping my protein intake so that this is more feasible but I just cant face how much food I am going to have to eat. My plan was to up my calories by having more olive oil when I cook and things like that, but that isnt going to add to the protein. I'm going to have to eat so many beans and I already feel like I'm stuffing my face all day now at 1500 calories and 70g of protein.

I really don't want to start chugging protein shakes as thats a rather expensive habit! Plus I don't want any overly processed food, I like to cook everything myself. Any tips on what I can eat and how I can get my protein/calories that high?

Replies

• kimazoo
    kimazoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am not doing that program and I'm no expert...but I would ask how do you feel? Are you sluggish? Do you have low energy? Are you tired? Is your hair falling out? Some of these thing can be side-effects from not getting enough protein. I've been lifting weights and getting results but I'm def not shooting for body building competitions rather long, lean, tight & tone muscles.

I find that I feel great eating 55-60g of protein a day. On a high day I'm high 60's but that's not very often. When I'm in the 40's I feel sluggish and unmotivated. So I've found that is what works for me.

I'd listen to your body vs what a book says as everyone is different and has their own personal needs for living a sustainable, healthy vegan diet. Just my two cents...you can take it or leave it @jessums88. :wink:
  • thevegangladiator
    thevegangladiator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i started weight lifting a little more then 2 months ago on a low fat low protein high carb vegan diet and i have really good grains each week for example start started out @45lbs on dumbbell press now im doing 70lbs. my protein intake is about 40g-100g a day. on days i eat black beans its higher 1 can has 24g and ill eat 2 cans in a meal. you only need about 6%-10% of your calories coming from protein and pretty much all food have 6% of there calories coming from protein. i use http://cronometer.com/ cause it breaks down into percentages make its easier.