What's your training schedule look like?

Options
ofccat
ofccat Posts: 284 Member
How many days a week do you run? Do you cross train, rest day, etc?

I typically run 5-6x/week and some days throw in some weight training, zumba, pilates, biking and a couple at home programs I have.

Replies

• twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am currently using HH novice 1 but I am planning on jumping up to Novice 2 or a full marathon training schedule (HH novice 1) in about a month. I want to keep steadily growing my mileage and I find that his training plans allow me to do that without injury.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    let's see i typically run 5 days a week. rest one day then strength train the other day. during the week i workout at lunchtime (my office has a small gym) so i will run for 40/45 minutes. i try to run outside on fridays because my boss works from home (hehehe.....) and i'll go out for an hour. weekends i'm just now starting to run for 1.5 hours.

i've used any programs i just listen to my body. i am trying to up my miles (esp with my half in june) and not focus on speed (figuring it'll come naturally)
  • RockyColorado
    Options
    I am current running 4 days a week....I am running staggered.... this week it has been 2.5 miles, 2.75 miles, today 2.5 miles, and tomorrow 3 miles

I am resting on Wed, Fri (not this week), and Sun

I have not decided on a pace yet...Currently I am running around 12-13 min miles

I do not want to burn out with over training...

I haven't decided about what I want to do on the off days...do I want to incorporate so strength training or just straight out rest

I will be running the Colfax 1/2 Marathon (Denver, CO) on May 19th...

I have lost 30 pounds since this past August

---I have to go! Time to get to the gym!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 days a week depending on my heavy work schedule, lift 3 and that's it. I fully believe in overtraining and I did that for my first 1/2. Did the same as above but did HIIT and the stairs 3 times a week and I injured my IT band. This time around no other cardio for me, it's overkill and I rather PR at my 2nd 1/2. Listen to your body, don't feel guilty for rest days, they are essential!
  • aintnograve
    Options
    I'm starting my training early march, after a month off, I'm thinking of using the map my run training plan or maybe the ifit one if I can ever get it to work!
    Vanessa
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    This is a great group! I ran my 1st half in Sept, and I want to rock it this year when I do it again! I'm doing a 10 mile run in early May and have signed up for some 5ks. I do a lot of different exercise, including kickboxing and strength work, which I think really helps my running. But the problem is fitting it all in! Currently I'm running 2x a week, 4-5miles. I'd like to bump it to 3x a week, with one of those being a longer run like 7 or 8.

I don't have a program, but have managed to get my 12 minute miles to 10.5. Would really love to be running at 10 by Sept... Suggestions welcome, (But I won't give up kickboxing, lol.)
  • ofccat
    Options
    I am currently using HH novice 1 but I am planning on jumping up to Novice 2 or a full marathon training schedule (HH novice 1) in about a month. I want to keep steadily growing my mileage and I find that his training plans allow me to do that without injury.

What's HH training?
  • ofccat
    Options
    This is a great group! I ran my 1st half in Sept, and I want to rock it this year when I do it again! I'm doing a 10 mile run in early May and have signed up for some 5ks. I do a lot of different exercise, including kickboxing and strength work, which I think really helps my running. But the problem is fitting it all in! Currently I'm running 2x a week, 4-5miles. I'd like to bump it to 3x a week, with one of those being a longer run like 7 or 8.

I don't have a program, but have managed to get my 12 minute miles to 10.5. Would really love to be running at 10 by Sept... Suggestions welcome, (But I won't give up kickboxing, lol.)

That's awesome. Have you heard of MAF training? Maximum Aerobic formula. The theory is to train smart and not race yourself. The formula is:
    180-age (-5 is deconditioned; 0 if healthy; +5 if fit and healthy). This gives you what your HR should be around. Your aerobic endurance will increase by training slower. The hard part is staying in that HR zone. Sometimes it means walking to slow it down or speeding up to get to that zone, I honestly have not tried it much as I hated walking, but some professional runners swear by it,

Every 2 weeks you will see an improvement.
    Ex: 150bpm 9:00 pace
    2 weeks: 145 BPM 8;45 pace
    get back to 150 BPM 8:45 pace and on and on.
  • RockyColorado
    Options
    I think it is....

Hal Higdon training...which a lot of people use...

http://halhigdon.com/training/
  • ofccat
    Options
    I'm starting my training early march, after a month off, I'm thinking of using the map my run training plan or maybe the ifit one if I can ever get it to work!
    Vanessa

I had issues with map my run also. I now use Nike+ app on my phone
  • ofccat
    Options
    I run 3-4 days a week depending on my heavy work schedule, lift 3 and that's it. I fully believe in overtraining and I did that for my first 1/2. Did the same as above but did HIIT and the stairs 3 times a week and I injured my IT band. This time around no other cardio for me, it's overkill and I rather PR at my 2nd 1/2. Listen to your body, don't feel guilty for rest days, they are essential!

I completely agree and that's why I am cutting back on a lot of my extra cardio except TurboKick. I am an instructor and need to keep practicing. I am actually thinking of starting Les Mills Pump at home for strength, I do some strength at the gym but am better off following a program when it comes to that.
  • ofccat
    Options
    let's see i typically run 5 days a week. rest one day then strength train the other day. during the week i workout at lunchtime (my office has a small gym) so i will run for 40/45 minutes. i try to run outside on fridays because my boss works from home (hehehe.....) and i'll go out for an hour. weekends i'm just now starting to run for 1.5 hours.

i've used any programs i just listen to my body. i am trying to up my miles (esp with my half in june) and not focus on speed (figuring it'll come naturally)

First off your look great in your weight loss pic. Way to go! Love that you sneak outside to run that's awesome
  • RockyColorado
    Options
    As I was running today...I realize I need to up my pace...I think my feet are taking more of a pounding at a slower pace....
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

That's awesome. Have you heard of MAF training? Maximum Aerobic formula. The theory is to train smart and not race yourself. The formula is:
    180-age (-5 is deconditioned; 0 if healthy; +5 if fit and healthy). This gives you what your HR should be around. Your aerobic endurance will increase by training slower. The hard part is staying in that HR zone. Sometimes it means walking to slow it down or speeding up to get to that zone, I honestly have not tried it much as I hated walking, but some professional runners swear by it,

Every 2 weeks you will see an improvement.
    Ex: 150bpm 9:00 pace
    2 weeks: 145 BPM 8;45 pace
    get back to 150 BPM 8:45 pace and on and on.

Thanks! I have so far resisted the HRM, but I may just have to get one...
  • jjlibunao
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group!

Yes - I use Hal Hidon's training schedule. I have a three year old daughter and work full time, so right now - I run 3 times a week. Four times, if I'm lucky. Mileage ranges anywhere from 3 to 4 miles a run. I go to the gym (once or twice a week) only because my 24 Hour Fitness has an awesome Kid's Club that can take care of my little one while I do the cardio machines. My race is not until June and I always give myself three good months to train. So I'm going to start training hard core next month.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Our group is also using the Hal Higdon program, but with a few changes here and there. I personally am trying to run 3 days a week. Distance on 2 of those will vary depending on time/schedule/conflicts but always longest run on Saturday. I am a Body Combat and Body Pump addict so I do those 4 days a week as well (sometimes a HIIT as well) and know that for now, I am fine. We'll see how I do as I start upping mileage. I tried Insanity mixed with running last summer and it was a disaster so if I start to notice problems like I had before (mainly extreme leg fatigue), I will change things up
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm doing the HH program as well. The 1/2 marathon Novice one.

So I do 4runs a week and my cross training is stair climbing/running as the Great Wall Marathon involves lots of stairs. I also try do 2 Jillian Michaels workouts a week so 30day Shred/Ripped in 30 to get some weight training in as well but it depends how I feel it I'm sore or something I'll just do 1 or the other.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

First off your look great in your weight loss pic. Way to go! Love that you sneak outside to run that's awesome

thank you. :) wasn't able to get my hour run in on friday (boss was in) but i did run 6 miles on sunday. it was a GOOD running day.
  • jon1289
    jon1289 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon is on March 17. I have been training since early December and following the programme on Runkeeper. It has worked a treat :)

3 short runs - Mon, Weds, Fri followed by a short on Saturday and a long one on Sunday.

The short runs have progressed from 3-4 miles to 5-6 miles and the long ones from 5 to 12 miles

I have one more long one of 13 to do before the race.

Despite missing a week in January due to snow I am certainly ready for this race! Finding 5 miles very comfortable now.
  • Tandrence
    Tandrence Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm also following the program on runkeeper. I'm doing the 5k program right now, but instead of run/walk I'm doing slow jog/run. As soon as that is done I will start the 1/2 marathon training program they have. The race I want to do isn't until September, but I'm sure that time will go fast. I run 4 days a week, unfortunately the weather is so bad most of it lately is on the treadmill at the gym. I would much rather be running outside, its much more enjoyable!