Just starting out

Options
madmags
madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
I have just signed up with my local box and will be starting my ramp class on Marcy 4th. I was looking for any pointers you might have or any good words to help me with my following concerns.

I am a big man and can't do unassisted pullups. Honestly I have a hard time holding up my weight with my grip strenght. I know they have assistance bands for pull ups, but was concerned about knees 2 elbows and other hanging exercises.
I am highly competitive and have done this kind of training both with college football as well as with classes at my gym, but am just nervous about the unknown.

Thanks for any feedback or encouragement and I will make sure to check in after completing my ramp.

Replies

• Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to CF, I too have only just found this forum.

From my experience, I would say, just smile, if you dont feel like you are going to throw up, put more effort in next time. ;)

I also watch as many CF youtube links, the people I think are amazing and very good role models to others are, Chris Spealler, Anne Thorisdottir and of course Richard Froning.

I nearly have strict pull ups, it is taking its time, but I will get there. Seriously though, just enjoy it, have fun and smile ;) x
  • JScarbo
    Options
    I have just signed up with my local box and will be starting my ramp class on Marcy 4th. I was looking for any pointers you might have or any good words to help me with my following concerns.

I am a big man and can't do unassisted pullups. Honestly I have a hard time holding up my weight with my grip strenght. I know they have assistance bands for pull ups, but was concerned about knees 2 elbows and other hanging exercises.
    I am highly competitive and have done this kind of training both with college football as well as with classes at my gym, but am just nervous about the unknown.

Thanks for any feedback or encouragement and I will make sure to check in after completing my ramp.

They will most likely modify for pullups. We do ring rows for those of us that can't do the number of pullups required. Just show up w/ good attitude and give it your best. I just finished my 1st month of the on-ramp. Good Luck.
  • Sasquatchrider
    Options
    What the other people have said is right on. Crossfit boxes are known for their positive supportive people. Every WOD can be adjusted. You'll have the opportunity to bring the same level of effort as the people doing it prescribed. When I started I was 230 and had bad rotator cuffs. I was using a green band. 9 months later I'm still improving but crank out multiple sets of 10 pull-ups and toes to bar no sweat
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Everything can be scaled to something you can do so I wouldn't worry about not being able to do things. Right now I have a bad shoulder and can't hang from the bar. For toes to bar I have subbed stuff like v ups, toes to bar on floor (lying on back, holding pole of pull up cage and kicking legs over to the pole), leg lifts on roman chair.

I would say that perhaps your biggest worry should be your competitive nature. It is easy to get carried away.

At any rate, I am sure you'll have fun and love it.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support and info. I am counting the days until 3/5 when I start my ramp. I will have to tone down my competitive nature, but vomiting will usually slow me down if I hit that point. LOL
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'll have to tone down your competitive nature. Mine drives me - to beat myself and I have a friendly/healthy challenge between another girl and I. She pushes me and I her.

I was intimidated the first time I went, I am not a small girl by any means. I cannot do pull ups, i'm still on ring rows, but it's still an *kitten* kicking either way. When everyone was super supportive and super nice about my entrance into the box, I felt better and came back the next day for more. Even the "endurance" athletes that have been doing this for a VERY long time take the time to say encouraging things and I appreciate that.

Take your time, do what you can and measure against yourself. You'll find you will do some things way better than other things, but it will come with time. I can bust out some burpees, which surprises even me, but when it comes to box jumps I'm a wuss for now LOL.

As everyone already mentioned everything can be modified. Enjoy it!