Whey Protein - Holland and Barrett

Options
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone uses the Whey Protein powder from Holland and Barrett? If yes, are the flavours any good?? I really need to up my protein intake (it's shocking) but I don't wanna shell out on a big tub of this if it tastes minging!

Views and opinions greatly appreciated!

:)

Replies

• spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Do you use Whey at the moment? TBH even the best ones can taste a little odd until you get used to them, but the general reviews of the Holland & Barrat stuff is its not that good.

Holland and Barratt along with all the other high street places are going to be a litle expensive. My latest batch was 5Kg from the Body Building Warehouse and that was the performance blend that adds some creatine and other bits and pieces into the mix. I got it in the Jan sale with 10% off, so it only cost £45 with free next day delivery via DPD. I'm sure they do a plain whey and they also do sample sachets, so you can see if its for you before you get a larger ammount.

HTH
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Options
    Unless they have a sale on I didn't think H&B were particularly cheap.

I haven't tasted H&B but I have tried some other chocolate flavoured shakes. PhD pharma whey ht+ was really tasty but pricey (although I think it's about £40 per 2.27kg in Tesco last time I checked) and the other one I've tried which doesn't taste quite as good but you get used to it quickly is Maxiraw WPI intensity at £40 per 2.5kg from their own website. I'll probably get the Maxiraw one again since it seems overall better value.
  • Nicks_scotland
    Options
    I thought it would be a good deal cos of the penny sale, but now I look into it, you're both right - expensive!

I'll try the sites you mentioned and have a look in the big Tesco tomorrow see what stuff they might have.

Thanks for the info!

x
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    H&B isn't cheap in my experience. I've only had the chocolate flavour, and it was ok. Definitely ask for sample or single serving sizes of any sort of powder you're considering before buying big tubs. Not sure if H&B does those or not, though.

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, as I can buy it in much larger quantities (4.5kg for £85, free delivery) which significantly lowers the cost per serving.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    £85 for 4.5kg is cheap?!!!!

You guys need to get involved with some of the bulk suppliers. My current recommendation is for The Protein Works, you can buy 4kg of 80% whey £51.99, and they'll throw in a free shaker.

TBH I wouldn't buy off the high street, not only for price, but also for the reason that they tend to be higher in sugar, and lower in protein. Most of the decent online bulk suppliers show you their independent analysis certificates too.

As well as the guys above, there is also Bulkpowders, MyProtein (decent products, but terrible customer service - you've been warned!), Maxiraw and a few others, so plenty of choice.

If you do go with the protein works, I recommend the cherry bakewell flavour, it's literally the best protein I've ever tasted, and if you use the voucher code DB2146 you can get 750g of protein in a flavour of your choice for free, if you spend £10. That way you can play it safe, buy £10 of a conventional flavour and then try a new flavour for free, before committing to a huge supply.

Finally, just to say, I'm not affiliated to any of these places, just have used a lot of different companies in my time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, as I can buy it in much larger quantities (4.5kg for £85, free delivery) which significantly lowers the cost per serving.

I use this as well, the double rich chocolate and the vanilla ice cream flavour are both yummy!
  • hougt
    hougt Posts: 1,088
    Options
    I just get mine from Myprotein unflavoured with a few different flavdrops so I can mix it up a bit
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Options

You guys need to get involved with some of the bulk suppliers. My current recommendation is for The Protein Works, you can buy 4kg of 80% whey £51.99, and they'll throw in a free shaker.

TBH I wouldn't buy off the high street, not only for price, but also for the reason that they tend to be higher in sugar, and lower in protein. Most of the decent online bulk suppliers show you their independent analysis certificates too.

As well as the guys above, there is also Bulkpowders, MyProtein (decent products, but terrible customer service - you've been warned!), Maxiraw and a few others, so plenty of choice.

If you do go with the protein works, I recommend the cherry bakewell flavour, it's literally the best protein I've ever tasted, and if you use the voucher code DB2146 you can get 750g of protein in a flavour of your choice for free, if you spend £10. That way you can play it safe, buy £10 of a conventional flavour and then try a new flavour for free, before committing to a huge supply.

Finally, just to say, I'm not affiliated to any of these places, just have used a lot of different companies in my time.

Cherry bakewell? Nice! I'll defo be trying that one out.
  • Lupercalia
    Options

It's not just down to cost for me. That's definitely a factor, but so is quality and value. I like the ON because the quality of the protein is excellent, it mixes well, tastes alright to me as far as protein powders go, anyway. The BCAA to EAA ratio is good. It has glutamine, too, and is low in carbs. I don't think the 80% whey from TPW you've suggested is really an equal comparison to the ON whey. Perhaps the 90 or 100% TPW though, and I think even the 100% is slightly less expensive than ON. I'd have to research that product further, and will likely do so-- thanks for the suggestion.

The only thing I dislike about ON whey is that sucralose sweetner. Take that out and it would be perfect! Bitter, but I could add a little honey or something. I really don't like those artificial sweeteners at all.
  • Lupercalia
    Options

I use this as well, the double rich chocolate and the vanilla ice cream flavour are both yummy!

I use the chocolate flavour. Haven't tried vanilla in this brand....I'll get to it someday!
  • HelloDan
    Options
    It's not just down to cost for me. That's definitely a factor, but so is quality and value.

Agreed, that cost is not the only factor.

If you're really particular, check out the create your own at the protein works. You can customise exactly what you want, it's not cheap, but what do you expect for customised protein.

Anyway, although these guys are my favourite supplier at the moment, I was really just intending to point out that the bulk suppliers generally are well worth checking out.
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    I get mine from Decathlon.

Aptonia Pure Whey Protein. Chocolate flavor and it's delicious with 400ml of semi skimmed milk!
    £30 for 750g, but they do a much cheaper one (£20?) if you prefer by the same brand whch has a little less protein content and a couple more grams of carbs.
  • Lupercalia
    Options
    It's not just down to cost for me. That's definitely a factor, but so is quality and value.

Agreed, that cost is not the only factor.

If you're really particular, check out the create your own at the protein works. You can customise exactly what you want, it's not cheap, but what do you expect for customised protein.

Anyway, although these guys are my favourite supplier at the moment, I was really just intending to point out that the bulk suppliers generally are well worth checking out.

Customised protein sounds great--maybe a bit of a splurge? I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    If you have a look at MyProtein.com, they do a samples sachets of their Whey Protein range for 99p a sachet. I tried just about all of them before settling on Vanilla, which in my opinion tastes like Walls Vanilla ice cream (Yum!!)
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I use my protein too

the strawberry tastes like milkshake even mixed with water

chocolate is nice but (sorry Kendra) the vanilla is vile...watery and odd after taste lol

£13.99 for 1kg of £15.99 for flavoured

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

martyxx
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Holland and Barratt are overpriced, even with the penny sale! I used to buy their chocolate protein powder until i discovered nutrisport 90+ on amazon, which costs between £11-£15. Its not the best tasting when mixed with water, but not disgusting either. You could just use skimmed milk for a slightly richer taste. Apparently its meant to be the best in its class for protein content. Its also low carb and low fat, i noticed some powders are high carb, which is a no-no for me.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I use my protein too

the strawberry tastes like milkshake even mixed with water

chocolate is nice but (sorry Kendra) the vanilla is vile...watery and odd after taste lol

£13.99 for 1kg of £15.99 for flavoured

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

martyxx
    :laugh: Each to their own!! Which is where the sample sizes come in handy!! x
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Holland & Barrett have got much more expensive recently - last year they would do the big tubs for £17.99 most of the time as a 1/2 price deal but they are now £42.99.

I started orering online. Myprotein and Bulkpowders are both good. They have a range of flavours but now I actually just by unflavoured and add my own cocoa etc. I recently had a sample of flavoured stuff and it tasted far too artificial after flavouring it myself for a while.

Bulkpowders do 5 kg for £47.99, although it's free delivery for over £50 so I usually throw something else small into my order to top it up :)
  • HelloDan
    Options
    The only issues I have with MyProtein are their awful customer service of late (since being bought by The Hut), and the fact they had a couple of contamination issues last year, including salmonella in their liquid egg whites, which is bad enough in itself, but the handling of the issues was pretty terrible.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The only thing I dislike about ON whey is that sucralose sweetner. Take that out and it would be perfect! Bitter, but I could add a little honey or something. I really don't like those artificial sweeteners at all.

I'm also looking for one without sucralose. I thought my Kinetica banoffee was the bees knees when I sampled it, but I quickly got super sensitive to the sweet taste and I find myself only able to drink up to half of a serving now before it gets to me.

I'm guessing unflavoured with a bit of cocoa, vanilla or fruit added is the way to go.