Strength Training

Options
aj445
aj445 Posts: 183 Member
Hello All!

I'm training for a full marathon in May - end of May. I am running 4 or 5 days a week currently with 1 strength training day (just added that day the last couple weeks) However this training plan I'm doing calls for running 5 days a week and 1 cross training day which is when I'm going to do strength training. I'd like ideally to get a 2nd session in there. Is there an ideal day to do run and strength training? I was thinking a mid week short run day would be good (my cross training day is Mondays). Thoughts?

Also I do only bodyweight exercises for strength training as I can't get to the gym - had a trial membership and didn't make it once ha. I have a treadmill in my basement for winter running and have no problem with motivation for cross training. So any suggestions on that would be more than welcome - currently I do various forms of pushups, squats, lunges, core work - like planks crunches etc.

Any input would be appreciated :)

Amanda

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    You can make any day your second day of strength training. I would put extra emphasis on the core. You generally do not want to do the strength on the same day as a hard run day, but other than that as long as you do not feel tired you should be good to go
  • aj445
    Options
    I was thinking thursday - before friday which is rest day. After my run which will be between 3- 5 miles. Guess that would work.

Maybe Monday upper and lower body, and Thursday core.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    That should work. I would do some core on both days, but that is me
  • aj445
    Options
    I could. My core IMO needs quite a bit of work.

Maybe I'll use february as a test month. Try out how splitting the workout into upper one day with core, and lower one day with core goes.

Or just doing 2 full body strength sessions each day.