Weekly Meal Plan

Options
In addition to trying to eat healthy, I'm trying to get back to budgeting after the holiday money drain. To that end, I'm back to making a weekly dinner meal plan and shopping Saturday for the week. If you all do the same thing, maybe we can post our plans here to give each other ideas.

For me, my next plan is here: 2/2-2/8
Saturday: Tortellini and Brussels sprouts
Sunday: MD Crab Soup (recipe: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Maryland-Crab-Soup). My husband (Brian) is a vegetarian, so on the rare occasions I make this I take half of the soup before the crab-adding step and keep it crabless. That way it's just awesome Old Bay vegetable soup for him.
Monday: Stir fry with tofu, carrots, baby corn and broccoli
Tuesday: Baked shells with broccoli (recipe: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/cheesy-baked-shells-broccoli-00000000006575/index.html). Brian isn't dieting as much as me, so sometimes I have to throw him a bone.
Wednesday: Either order in or eat a frozen pizza. Likely I'll bring home Chipotle, which means a salad with no dressing, pinto beans, steak, cheese and hot sauce.
Thursday: Quesadillas (no recipe, just cook black beans with taco seasoning, then pile on cheese, spinach and tomatoes and heat in pan).
Friday: Quinoa with pinto beans and corn. I don't have a recipe for this online anywhere but it's really easy and tastes awesome. Let me know if you want it and I can email it to you :-)

Replies

• Asha679
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too, I'll have to give that Crabless soup a try...sounds yummy. I just got a new vegan (even though I'm not vegan) low-cal cookbook . I'll let you know if there's anything good in there
  • detectivemonkey
    Options
    Definitely do! I also keep all of my recipes in Evernote in a very easy-to-share format, so let me know if you're ever looking for anything. I didn't know how to cook tempeh, tofu, or vegetables for that matter 4 years ago, so it's been a learning curve. It worked out well though, because I hate cooking meat anyway :-)
  • fatosaurusrex
    fatosaurusrex Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you measure your cheese for quesadilla day because omg it's so easy to go overboard with the cheese!
  • Corwynnde
    Options
    I plan my meals out ahead every week, I just can't grocery shop without a list. I just need to get better at adding veggies and not going overboard on things like cheese. My meal plan for this week:

Mon: Waffles
    Tues: Fish tacos (panko-breaded tilapia, baked and then in tortillas with an avocado/lime/cilantro/tomato/corn/black bean mix on top)
    Wed: Chili - I make it in the crockpot from scratch - will probably use the leftover mix from the previous day on top. Going to use ground beef 'cause I have it in the freezer.
    Thurs: Steak bites (small steak pieces cooked in butter- yeah, not exactly health food but nummy!) and roasted root veggies (parsnips, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes)
    Friday: French bread pizza on whole wheat italian bread
    Sat: Salsa chicken burritos (toss chicken in crock pot, add jar of salsa and packet of taco seasoning (or 2 tb of homemade taco seasoning) and corn/avocado/black bean/cheese/light sour cream
    Sunday: Leftovers
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    When it comes to cooking I'm kind of intimidated. My boyfriend has a serious passion for it and since I've decided to lose weight he's been obsessively finding meals that are low calorie/high nutrition. Last night he made aloo gobi - Indian cauliflower and potatoes. It only has about 210 cals for a cup. Insanely easy to make too: Cook spices (garram masala, corriander, cumin) in oil, add vegetables and a can of stewed tomatoes. Simmer for 25 mins. Top with chopped cilantro. We also made some homemade naan which was the highest calorie part of dinner. Still, vegetarian and delicious.

The night before he made crab salad paninis with avocado and steamed broccoli. I kind of lucked out because I don't have to plan anything. He gets a hankering to cook something and I play sous chef and do the menial jobs he doesn't want to do.
  • cnlforbin
    cnlforbin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, those tasks aren't menial!
  • MicahAaarrrgghh
    MicahAaarrrgghh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to setup weekly meals, check out the Food Planner app on android/ios. It lets you import recipes from a whole slew of sites and builds shopping lists from them.

Since the GF and I started using it we're throwing away a whole lot less food and eating better. It can be a little kludgy but once you figure out the quirks it works great!
  • Corwynnde
    Options
    Eatathomecooks.com is also a super awesome site for brainless meal planning. Not health-focused but having a weekly menu pre-made with shopping list (3 years worth and counting!) is a great jumping off point. I often use her recipes and just eat lighter for breakfast/lunch so I don't have to worry about dinner.