Going Pesco-Vegetarian!

I was a vegetarian in the 1980s, and loved it. Then I put back on my blinders & fell off the meat wagon for 30 years. Now I'm ready to shift again, this time to pesco-vegetarianism, which means I'll eat eggs, dairy, fish & seafood, but no meat or poultry.

Then, as now, I made the switch because I allowed my mind to wander into the coops & slaughterhouses. Then, as now, I thought of my beloved pets, who are considered dinner in some countries. Then, as now, I thought of Sir Paul McCartney, who said something to the effect of, "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everybody would be vegetarian."

I can get my eggs & dairy from reliably humane sources (neighborhood farms), so I feel good about my choice.

What are your thoughts about the food you eat? Do you have a food philosophy?

P.S. I had a kick-*kitten* black bean burger last night, decked out with all my favorite burger toppings, and it was WONDERFUL!

Replies

• katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 839 Member
    I'm trying to be vegan - but not regiously. If I'm eating at someone's house, I'll eat what is served. But during the week, I love being vegan! I bought a new recipe book and am trying out new things. I really don't miss the foods I no longer eat. Since I had become lactose intolerant as I got older, it's good for me to avoid dairy products. There are so many great vegetables, grains, and legumes out there, we really don't need meat.
  • espree70
    espree70 Posts: 41 Member
    I love Eloise and your new tracker guess I hadn't noticed yet...I was much more into the vegan life in the 70's than I have become it's something I need to re think as well..as always thank you for being a thinker.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    I eat a plant based, whole foods diet. I do not eat meat at all, and very very rarely eat any animal protein. I will every once in a while have something with cheese. I do it because I believe it is better for my health, and because of the way that animals used for food are treated. It is both health and ethical for me, and I feel great about my decision.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    A 1999 meta-study of five studies comparing vegetarian and non-vegetarian mortality rates in Western countries found that in comparison with regular meat eaters, mortality from ischemic heart disease was 34% lower in pescetarians, 34% lower in ovo-lacto vegetarians, 26% lower in vegans and 20% lower in occasional meat eaters. In other words, it's healthier to eat fish, eggs & dairy than to not eat fish, eggs & dairy.