Portland Area, I need some help!

Options
ecka723
ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
Hello,

I'm looking to move from the Seattle area to the Portland area, but am having trouble deciding on which area/neighborhood. Are there any areas to avoid? What is your favorite neighborhood?

Thanks!

Replies

• dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm not from Portland, but based on my most recent visits, my vote would be a place that is within walking distance of either of the Pine State Biscuits locations.:happy:
  • 5auce
    5auce Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What sort of things are you into?

I personally like the Woodstock, Hawthorne, Alberta neighborhoods
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I used to live in the Pearl district and would move back in a heartbeat.
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    On a more serious note, in what part of Seattle do you live right now? Do you like it? Is there a Seattle-area neighborhood in which you would like to live? Do you have kids, how old are they/you, are you a foodie, do you like to get outdoors?
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    As above posters mention, good to think about what you want! Google some of the neighborhoods. Commuting might also factor in, so depending on where you work.

I live in the Arbor Lodge neighborhood near ish to Kenton, Alberta, and Mississippi (North Portland) and I love it! So much to do, more of a community/less city, but easy to hop on the freeway and get places.

Really just depends what you're looking for! Though I would say being closer to I-5 than not is best, and being on the East side of 205 is definitely not preferable.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Commuting is a good thing to consider. I worked west of Portland (in Hillsboro), so I ruled out the southeast neighborhoods, even though I would have seriously considered otherwise, because it would not have been a good driving commute at all.
  • ecka723
    Options
    On a more serious note, in what part of Seattle do you live right now? Do you like it? Is there a Seattle-area neighborhood in which you would like to live? Do you have kids, how old are they/you, are you a foodie, do you like to get outdoors?

Sorry! I've been busy with school and haven't had a chance to check the threads! Right now I'm in Bellevue, and I hate it! I'm tired of it. I don't have kids, but I am married. I'm 25, and I'm still going to school, so somewhere near a community college would be preferable. We enjoy lots of things, but mainly we're homebodies. We just are looking for somewhere affordable and safe.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I recommend Beaverton then! It is safe and affordable, if a little "suburban". Get a place near a MAX line, and you can hit anywhere in downtown super easy!
  • sethysgirl
    Options
    I would Avoid the Rockwood area ( NE/SE 148-190th) especially. I live in Gresham and I absolutely couldn't be happier. North Portland used to be the scary area, but it has cleaned up quite a bit, so even North Portland is good now. I would also suggest (for if you live within the Portland city limits), make sure to be a ways away from the max stops. The max seems to have the scummy people around at all times.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I would Avoid the Rockwood area ( NE/SE 148-190th) especially. I live in Gresham and I absolutely couldn't be happier. North Portland used to be the scary area, but it has cleaned up quite a bit, so even North Portland is good now. I would also suggest (for if you live within the Portland city limits), make sure to be a ways away from the max stops. The max seems to have the scummy people around at all times.

I only see the scummy people on the east side MAX lines. I live right on the MAX on the west side and we have no problems with that.
  • lavender22
    lavender22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hawthorne area is very nice. But I live in the small city of Wood Village near Troutdale and have been here for 7 years I love it and its a great city. I wish you luck on the move and let us know where you end up:)
  • ecka723
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas! Keep them coming if you can!
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Portland Community College Cascade Campus is a great one to check out as well as a few others. I would suggest doing a few campus visits at different schools and picking a neighborhood based on that. Since you're relatively young (like me :P), I would suggest SE, NE/NW vs. SW, Beaverton, etc. since these areas are a bit more fun and eclectic versus suburban. However, it truly takes visiting each neighborhood, researching online, and making an informed decision based on your future goals. Good luck!
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What places in Seattle do you really enjoy visiting (obviously not Bellevue)? If you like Northgate (think more towards the mall vs Aurora), move to Beaverton or Gresham. If you want to be able to walk to cute bars, shops, restaurants go for inner SE (Anything under SE 50th, Belmont, Hawthorne, Division) or NW Portland (Pearl District, Nob Hill). SW Portland, Tigard/Tualitin are filled with cute little houses and very suburban (think traffic jams on Sundays because church just let out).

It's all a matter of what you're looking for. The Community Colleges aren't that far away in any direction, should you live in SE or NW, hell, even N Portland is really nice now!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have no input....but I live near Seattle and would like to move to Portland, so I'm shamlessly piggy-backing and lurking your thread.....
  • ecka723
    Options
    Sorry I have no input....but I live near Seattle and would like to move to Portland, so I'm shamlessly piggy-backing and lurking your thread.....

No problem, piggy back away!

I've visited Portland a few times, and the areas I've visited I've really liked, but I am not so sure of the different areas. I've visited Montavilla and really liked the feel, as well as the Mt. Tabor area and I really liked the areas around NE Glisan (not sure of the names on that one).
  • sethysgirl
    Options

I only see the scummy people on the east side MAX lines. I live right on the MAX on the west side and we have no problems with that.
    [/quote]

The west side of the MAX does seem a lot less scummy. I would also avoid living too close to the Willamette, too close being within half a mile. That is the biggest buggy area in Portland. (Bedbugs and Roaches)
  • ecka723
    Options
    Sorry for the delay! Thanks everyone! Currently looking at a job in close-in NE (near Hollywood, I think? Not too sure...) and am probably going to stick to either NE or SE, based on prices and such. Thank you so much for all of your help!