Are my weights are holding me back?

Options
I've been off and on with the SL5x5 but I can't seem to stay committed. I mainly attribute my lack of interest to my hand-me-down rusty set of cement block DP weights and bench. (It was free so I took them in thinking I would like them.) Well, the weights on them jiggle a bit after awhile...and this metal bar sheath thingy that goes over main bar just isn't very good on bare hands (plus it slips and slides too). I'm thinking this is just going to get too dangerous or uncomfortable to be worth it. I end up using resistance bands but I don't think it's giving me the stability or balance I'm looking for.

I'm too chicken to go into a gym to do weights and if I do go, i gravitate toward the weight machines rather than free weights.

So my question(s) to you Stronglifters: should I invest in a solid set of weights? What do you use in your in-home gyms?

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's time for some new weights. Don't cheap out on the bar - find a good quality olympic bar that can hold a good amount of weight. As far as weight plates go, weight is weight IMO so any will do.

I unfortunately have a lot invested in a standard weight set. I have a 250lb weighted bar so once I surpass that I will make the investment into a good olympic bar set.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Olympic bar, weight plates, and the most important thing!! A power rack!! I love it!!! It makes a huge difference!!! Weight lifting is so fun when you feel safe!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    if its a mental block to you doing the program, then yes. Also, it sounds kind of like a scary set ANYWAY so, yes.

But I work out at the gym and that's also fine, since its pretty close to me and it has 2 power racks and a squat rack. Just remember - the fact that you have a plan and you know about proper form (maybe you dont' have it down yet, but you're going to be working on it and re-evaluating what you're doing constantly) puts you ahead of about 98% of people working out in a commercial gym. You are smarter than they are and you deserve to be there and use any equipment you want.