Diaper genie, diaper dekor or others... so confusing!

Options
musicgirl99
musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
Hi ladies,
Just wondering what your opinions are of the Diaper Genie, the Diaper Dekor or if you can recommend any different diaper disposal systems. My SIL had a diaper genie with my niece 10 years ago and that seemed to work great but now I hear that the Diaper Dekor is better. I'm a FTM so this is all very confusing to me and I would love to hear your opinions on which you think is best. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I'm being offered a practically new Diaper Genie but had registered for the Diaper Dekor. Should I take the Genie being offered to me or wait for something new??

Replies

• ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    We used the Sassy scented bags for both my kids- worked well and super easy.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about this since it's my first baby, but my sister in law gave us The Diaper Champ. I used to use it when I babysat her kids and until it got... FULL, it disguised smells well and it takes normal sized trash bags.

With the Diaper Genie, I believe you have to buy a special Diaper Genie bag for it, which might not be convenient. I also have friends that had a diaper bin and then decided that all they really needed was a trash can with a good lid.

That's my experience!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about this since it's my first baby, but my sister in law gave us The Diaper Champ. I used to use it when I babysat her kids and until it got... FULL, it disguised smells well and it takes normal sized trash bags.

With the Diaper Genie, I believe you have to buy a special Diaper Genie bag for it, which might not be convenient. I also have friends that had a diaper bin and then decided that all they really needed was a trash can with a good lid.

That's my experience!

^This.

I have the Diaper Champ and love it because it masks smells well (so long as you empty it often enough - even if it's not often used, you should empty it often because old pee smells pretty bad) and because it takes regular trash bags.

The Diaper Champ confuses me, and every time I use one (for example, at my BIL and SIL's house), I never seem to get the diaper in all the way without putting all my weight on the pedal and shoving the diaper down. Not exactly easy one-handed use, if you ask me.

Even though you're getting a brand-new Diaper Champ for free, you still have to pay for the bags, which can get pricey.

I bought my Diaper Champs off of Craigslist. They cost me $5 and $10. They are something like $40 new, and the current ones aren't as big as the older ones (with no added benefits).

Other people I know ended up going to regular, sturdy, lidded trash cans, but even those are $40 or $50 if you buy a brand new one at Bed Bath & Beyond or Target.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    We just used the little plastic bags from the grocery store in a small trash can and took the diapers out every day and cleaned the can when we took it out. We had no smells and no extra cost. If there was an especially bad diaper - we would wrap that in another bag before putting in the trash.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    We just used the little plastic bags from the grocery store in a small trash can and took the diapers out every day and cleaned the can when we took it out. We had no smells and no extra cost. If there was an especially bad diaper - we would wrap that in another bag before putting in the trash.

Mostly this! We had a diaper genie with our first and used it for awhile, but it was more a pain and not really worth it. We now just use a small garbage can and empty daily. If the poop is bad (only when they get older imo), we just take those right out of the house immediately and put into the garbage can outside. Lots cheaper!
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Mostly this! We had a diaper genie with our first and used it for awhile, but it was more a pain and not really worth it. We now just use a small garbage can and empty daily. If the poop is bad (only when they get older imo), we just take those right out of the house immediately and put into the garbage can outside. Lots cheaper!

I have a diaper genie and I barely used it. Especially once the diaper changes became less as my son grew older. I would recommend it as a product, but I do find that just putting a smelly one into a small grocery bag and putting it in the trash or just taking it to the outside trash can, is easier and less to worry about, so long as you empty your big trash can regularly, which we do every other day, so it works well for us to just throw the pee diapers in there.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've got the Arm and Hammer diaper pail (forgot what they called it). I got one from my registry and then ended up buying a second one for downstairs. The way our house is set up, we have our trash can in the pantry, with no room for a lid. Soooo, it gets smelly quickly. As far as liners go I replace them about once a week on average (so with one pail it would be twice a week), so you may want to look into that cost for the different brands.

Another thing I used, I had a disposable set of bags for diapers that clipped onto my diaper bag. It was nice while outside of the home and somewhere like a friend's house so I could throw out the diapers without guilt of smelling up their trash can!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Another thing I used, I had a disposable set of bags for diapers that clipped onto my diaper bag. It was nice while outside of the home and somewhere like a friend's house so I could throw out the diapers without guilt of smelling up their trash can!

YES! This thing: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=299183&catid=183079&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler

It comes in so handy when you're on the go, especially if you're not in a spot where you can throw the diaper out right away or you're at someone else's house. I've even been with others with kids in diapers and have let them use mine, and they're always fans afterwards! They sell them at Babies 'R Us, but Target sells them cheaper (starter pack and refills). I happened to find some refills at the kids' consignment store for less than a dollar, too!
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options

YES! This thing: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=299183&catid=183079&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler

It comes in so handy when you're on the go, especially if you're not in a spot where you can throw the diaper out right away or you're at someone else's house. I've even been with others with kids in diapers and have let them use mine, and they're always fans afterwards! They sell them at Babies 'R Us, but Target sells them cheaper (starter pack and refills). I happened to find some refills at the kids' consignment store for less than a dollar, too!

That's the one I had/have! (I need to find it or buy a new one lol).