Running in the First Tri

Options
ybodwen
ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
Hi ladies
I'm 6 weeks pregnant and am planning to keep up my running as long as I can.
I am already feeling so tired and winded though, even during my easy runs.
Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks!

Replies

• beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm 12 weeks and I'm still running almost everyday. I'm a lot slower and I have to take breaks, which is something I'm not used to. Just stick with it and listen to your body. If you need to slow down or walk then slow down or walk.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I ran in the first trimester but was SO tired that I couldn't keep up with my usual, not super quick pace. I'd just play it by ear. All I can suggest is doing that, and make sure you're not overexerting yourself!
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I ran until month 6, just modify as you go, if you need to take a break, do it, don't force yourself and you'll be fine. The whole listening to your body is really important!
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the third trimester now, and I was advised in the beginning that "every run should be an easy run." Meaning, easy run pace....you can definitely keep running but listen to your body and don't overexert yourself. I started to feel great in the second trimester and was able to jog for longer intervals, but now that I'm in the third I've had to mix up 1-2 minutes of light jogging intervals with walking in between. So when I go for a long walk I end up jogging 15-20 total. On those days when I'm not up to it, I've learned it's okay just to walk and will probably end up just walking in the last couple of weeks. But keeping up running in some form throughout pregnancy, even though it is not my normal routine, has helped soooo much with keeping weight gain from becoming excessive, and it has helped me maintain some muscle definition. And my baby boy is measuring right where he should be!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I second doing running/walking intervals once you get further along. I was going to run the whole way through but I'm nearly 17 weeks and already having to do 5 minute running/walking intervals. I just can't do what I used to do easily. And I don't find it as much fun now that I'm so slow and out of puff. It has given me the chance to try some new excercises though and work on strength training more and other forms of cardio and that has been good!