Getting heavier weights off rack..

Options
mareeee1234
mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
I know this might sound like a really stupid question haha..

But I've been squatting with 20kg, and now feel ready to go heavier as I'm not struggling with 20kg anymore

So the other day I went over to grab the 22.5kg Barbell but couldn't lift it off the rack - this isn't on a squat rack btw, just one of the racks that holds the barbells

My question is: since I couldn't get it off the rack ...does this mean that I am stilllll not strong enough for this weight??
But I feel like I could SQUAT with it... (20kg is getting a little easy now) and I don't know what to dooo! How am I ever gonna move past 20kg with any of my Stronglift exercises if I can't get 22.5kg off the rack?

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your grip needs improving somewhat, I have no trouble getting the oly bar off the bench or squat rack...um...not sure what to suggest, other than maybe google grip strength exercises? Maybe practice gripping a 20 kg weight whilst walking (if it is the type with the holes for moving it about)...shoulder strength might be the other one....not sure...maybe Tameko can help a little more on this one...I am a bigger lass, so have always been able to lug the stuff around...
  • mareeee1234
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply! Yeah it could be grip I guess..!

Anyone else?
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Were you getting under the bar and trying to lift it off with your shoulders or trying to clean and press it up and over your shoulders? One of the reasons for a squat rack is because most people can't clean and press that weight, but they're still strong enough to squat the weight.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    At same point myself and somewhat nervous of moving to the rack as there are only two at my gym, and they are usually occupied by males. Also worried about such a time as I will need a spotter as I don't know anyone.
  • mareeee1234
    Options
    Its just on a rack like this...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWYLQGWR_NuU0IVqrF79qnu23Eg5b6SuvmVW3twWvP1JvNKjyz8w

So the 22.5kg is on the top one.. And I just can't lift it OFF of the RACK. But I think I'm ready to do some of the exercises using that weight..
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That actually looks like a curl rack. The bars are shorter right? Do you have access to anything like this?

http://www.discountonlinefitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e9eac4083af1bf3e0366a14280110ed/i/n/ins-olympic_squat_rack_wo.jpg

With a rack like this^ you can squat as heavy as your legs will allow. I hit 145 the other day and I can't even overhead press 55lbs.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    YES! I find the Olympic bar is waaay easier to throw around than the curl bars (can get better form etc.). Even doing something like cleans, I can lift more using the oly than the short bars. Highly recommend doing things this way.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    That actually looks like a curl rack. The bars are shorter right? Do you have access to anything like this?

http://www.discountonlinefitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e9eac4083af1bf3e0366a14280110ed/i/n/ins-olympic_squat_rack_wo.jpg

With a rack like this^ you can squat as heavy as your legs will allow. I hit 145 the other day and I can't even overhead press 55lbs.

^^
  • mareeee1234
    Options
    Hm I don't know... I'd need to explore deeper into the weights room to find one of those.. haha
    Okay, I'll try find a squat rack

But are the barbells already on them?
  • faeriewings1
    Options
    The squat rack usually has an Olympic bar you can put plates on.
  • mareeee1234
    Options
    Yep got it !! Thanks all
  • faeriewings1
    Options
    Glad you got it sorted :0)
  • alwyndacara
    alwyndacara Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    At same point myself and somewhat nervous of moving to the rack as there are only two at my gym, and they are usually occupied by males. Also worried about such a time as I will need a spotter as I don't know anyone.

Ask anyone - random people. I had some random guy spot my last couple of bench presses because I just wasn't sure!! Pretty much all people who are doing strength training will need a spotter at some point, so most people don't mind you asking if they're not working out at the time.