Body fat testing uk

Options
Simplicity
Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
Hi just a quick one.
I wondered. If anyone in the UK knew of a way to get your body fat tested accurately.
I understand the different techniques from measurements right through to underwater hydro-something lol.
I live in Birmingham but I don't have a gym membership so don't get to use any of their equipment.
I have accumeasure calipers but not very confident with my results. I also have scales that say they measure fat but they put me at 31% which is very implausible for my tape measure figures.
So far I use the military calculations to track differences and I know I'm heading in the right direction.
So basically do you know if there are places like universities, medical places, or people who do research that might be able to offer a cheapish alternative to doing it my way.
Thanks if you can help
Ben

Replies

• carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi Ben,

I'm afraid I can't help as I have the same issue - the guy at my gym looked at me as if I was mad!! Also as I'm not 'unhealthy' I feel a bit silly going to the drs.

I would be interested to know if you find an answer/solution.

All the best
    Carly
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    For now, scale/tape and calculators are fine for me. In the future, I'd like to have a full screening done.

You might check with your local universities, as well as any sort of sports medicine clinics or doctors, etc. Here in Glasgow one can have this testing done at The National Stadium Sports Medicine Centre. http://www.sportsmedicinecentre.org/home.cfm?page=2291

Not sure if there is something similar in Birmingham, but it's worth looking around to see. You could start by googling Sports Medicine, Fitness Testing, Body Fat Testing, etc. But you might also ring up sports medicine related people/places. Universities are probably a good bet as well.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I bought some callipers from ebay (accumeasure ones) for about £5, I use those to measure along with the old tape too double check if i dont believe what im seeing ;)
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Not an accurate measure, but these images will give you a ballpark figure, so you can see if you're close or way off.

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'd also imagine Birmingham University would be able to do it, as they are quite popular for sport. Failing that Loughborough would definitely be able to do it, and they're not a million miles away.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Have you asked at local gyms to see if they will do it for a fee? Although you're not a member there might be a gym who is happy to do the test for a small charge, might be worth phoning around to check.
  • Simplicity
    Options
    That great guys ill start my searching. Ill post back here if I find anything useful
    Ben
  • Simplicity
    Options
    Not an accurate measure, but these images will give you a ballpark figure, so you can see if you're close or way off.

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

Going by the pictures I'd say I'm in between 20-25% but still that's good, better than over 25 where I used to be.