Post work out nutrition

Options
ls_66
ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
I'm fairly new to running... started walking 4+ miles daily 2 years ago and slowly worked myself into running, I recently (6 months ago) finished my first 5k and also completed a 7k trail run, currently the furthest that I can run is 9 miles.
Typically I run at night 8 to 9 PM afterwards I feel pretty tired not very hungry but wanting to replenish my energy to help my body recover, any recommendations? web sites that address pre and post run nutrition ?

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a piece of fruit.
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Checkout Jeff Galloways website..he is an expert in this area. I run early in the morning and follow it with a bowl of oatmeal and protein powder. IF i ran that late I would drink a scoop of water with Protein power and call it a night.
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    meant to say a scoop of Protein not water:)
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I usually run between 8and 9 at night and finish between 9 and 1030 depending on start time and distance. I usually just have a glass of chocolate milk cause i'm never hungry right away and by the time I would be I"m sleeping lol
  • ls_66
    Options
    my problem is that by the time I hit the bed in matters of 10 minutes I'm starving !!
    I usually run between 8and 9 at night and finish between 9 and 1030 depending on start time and distance. I usually just have a glass of chocolate milk cause i'm never hungry right away and by the time I would be I"m sleeping lol
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    a banana and a glass of chocolate milk usually does the trick for me. Protein, carbs, and potassium!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    http://www.askmen.com/top_10/fitness_top_ten/34b_fitness_list.html

"The best way to replenish your glycogen stores is to consume carbohydrate-rich foods within the 30 minutes that follow your workout. Since your blood flow is increased and your muscle cells are more sensitive to insulin right after your workout, you'll get the best results if you consume recovery foods within this time frame.

Ideally, you should ingest approximately 3/4 of a gram of carbohydrates per pound of body weight -- about 135 grams of carbs for a 180-pound male -- within 30 minutes of your workout, and about the same amount or slightly more two hours later.

But it's not all about carbs. Studies have shown that including some protein -- 10 grams to 18 grams is ideal -- in your post-workout snack or meal helps to replenish the glycogen more quickly, and stimulates muscle growth and repair. Also, don't forget to rehydrate your body by drinking lots of fluids after your workout"
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    You should have a combo of carbs and protein . I usually have either string cheese, chocolate milk, or a single serving pack of peanut butter. They say you need to eat within 30 minutes of finishing your run.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I drink chocolate milk after runs.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I drink chocolate milk after runs.

Same here.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk works well for me too. I find after long runs (10 miles+) I really need that or something right away or I start to crash and feel horrible. I was drinking chocolate milk while showering after my 11 mile run on Saturday!
  • runchris63
    Options
    Chocolate milk works wonders
  • ls_66
    Options
    thank you for all replies
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I like a glass of Ovaltine with skim milk. I run late day or night depends on weather here in Florida.

Happy Happy Happy :drinker:
  • dfquigley
    Options

Ideally, you should ingest approximately 3/4 of a gram of carbohydrates per pound of body weight -- about 135 grams of carbs for a 180-pound male -- within 30 minutes of your workout, and about the same amount or slightly more two hours later.

That's like a liter or chocolate milk for me..... damn :p
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm with the folks indicating protein. I have a protein drink with 28 gr of protein. I've recently been reminded to add some carbs so that my body can effectively rebuild. The recommended post run nutrition was the protein shake, 1/2 Gatorade, and a banana.