Any Lifting / Crossfit Moms-to-be?

Options
_ylime_
_ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
Hi All,

There is probably a topic on this (I searched for a bit but then gave up and decided to post my own) so sorry for the repeat!

Do any of you ladies lift or do crossfit / did you continue throughout your pregnancy? I have been given the OK to continue my fitness routine, with modification of course, but I was looking for advice from any of you ladies that have some experience!

I am only 8 weeks along so far... the first 6 weeks I was incredibly sick, but I am feeling better now and have been going to the gym - so far so good - but I am worried about the 2nd and 3rd trimesters.... I put a ton of hard work in over the past year to get where I am and I would love to maintain my current level of fitness (within reason)... I told my doc. that I wanted to be able to do pullups even when I am 8... 9 months along :happy: She thinks I'm slightly crazy (it took me years to be able to do pullups again... I'm not giving those up... :laugh: )

Any advice you may have would be great... or even just your own experience (ie. when things became too difficult or uncomfortable etc).

Thanks in advance! I am so happy to have found a group of preggo ladies that share my desire to stay fit during pregnancy!!!

Also... Congrats! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am continuing to lift in the first trimester and will re-evaluate from there. I do not plan to increase my weights, just stick with the routine I am doing. I currently do a three day split routine similar to LiveFit. I also run two miles three days per week, but my running has slowed down considerably because I am having a hard time keeping my heart rate lower than 165. I also do yoga twice per week and plan to continue that as long as possible before having to switch over to prenatal yoga, which is NOT as much fun imo.

I am only four weeks, so I will be discussing it all further with my doc next month. As it is I have been working out consistantly for a year and am in pretty good shape and at goal weight. Everything I have read says it is ok to continue unless you think you may be high risk. Other than herniated disks I have had forever in my low back, my pregnancy last time was normal. Working out should help my back by keeping the weight gain reasonable this time. I gained WAY to much weight with my daughter and ate like a crazy person. not this time!
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    FIrst off - Congrats! Keep at it as long as possible because it makes it really hard to get it back if you take a break during pregnancy, especially as you progress! I had to take a 3 week hiatus from running around month 6 because of sciatic nerve issues and I was never able to pick my running back up.

i don't do crossfit, but I lift heavy. I'm 34w and still lifting 3-4 days per week plus cardio 5-6 days. I've definitely slowed down. From a lifting perspective, I stopped doing exercises on my back around 20w, you'll just get to be too uncomfortable. And the rest of it, I've just modified as I go, i.e. chest press once push ups became too difficult or incline bench when I couldn't be on my back any longer. I haven't really had to reduce my weight too much as far as how much I'm actually lifting for upper. I have definitely had to modify my lower routine. It's getting more difficult to squat these days, so I find myself doing a lot more with my body weight versus anything else these days. I used to do weighted walking lunges and now I do stationary lunges without weight. Things like that. Just listen to your body and don't overexert yourself if you're feeling uncomfortable. If you have stomach pains, there is a reason, slow down and / or take a break.

From a cardio standpoint, I have really slowed down as well. I keep up my swimming because it's the one cardio exercise that I can still do without too much change. I was never a regular swimmer, so I didn't do the flips at the end, but I've heard those are more difficult as you progress. I now need to walk and do incline intervals instead of running. I slowed down on the elliptical and it's nearly impossible to get on the bike most days because my belly is in my lap. That said, I haven't lost much definition. Not this time. With my two oldest sons, I lost definition and it took time to get it back, but I have gotten it back after each kid, it's just a lot of dedication and effort!

Good Luck!
  • Crazyartgrrl
    Crazyartgrrl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree, even at 14 weeks I've had to cut back a bit during my kickboxing class. I feel like I get out of breath faster. As far as lifting, I have no plans on slowing down.
    I'm following the advice I did on my last pregnancy, which is no walking lunges when you're really far along, stay off your back when you're getting big since there could be circulation issues. I just want to prevent injury so I keep in mind I'll have an additional 20-30 lbs of weight being carried as time goes on, and I figure that into what I'm doing....for my lower half. Top half stays the same. And I'll need to curb the ab exercises in a month or so predict, at least the floor ones.
    But I'm all about keeping the levels I have going on right now. I work with a trainer which is great because he has really stepped up and has begun researching which exercises will be beneficial and which not so much as my pregnancy progresses. It's always helpful to have someone watching your form and listening to you when you say "you know, this doesn't feel right"

AND of course It's always fun to see people look at you funny when you're the very pregnant woman doing lat pulldowns. I have switched to a smaller gym since last pregnancy, and I go during the later morning during the week, when all the older folks are around. Literally, people in their 70's walking around, which actually is great. But I can only imagine how they will react as time goes on. =)
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies! I feel great other than I find that I get out of breath so quickly now... even in the warm-up...

It is really the cardio I find the most difficult. Last night we did weighted fron squats, chest to bar pullups, weighted pullups and barbell rows... I did everything with my usual weight, expect for the squats, I took off 10 pounds... the workout was long and I could tell, even with rests, that is was too much.

So far so good! My trainers are 100% with me and have done a ton of research on the do's and dont's... so they are helping me keep things safe, but challenging at the same time!

So great to hear that others are keeping their routines going too! :drinker: Keep it up ladies!
  • LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!

I've been lifting and doing bootcamp throughout my pregnancy (I'm 24 weeks) and have just been modifiying as I go. I agree with what others have said - you absolutely know when something feels 'off' - when you feel it, stop doing it, immediately.

Last night was my first work-out related injury since getting pregnant - and I totally caused it myself by not modifying an oly lift (when my coach had suggested I modify) and generally being an idiot. So, my pulled lower back muscle doesn't feel so great today, but it's a good reminder that everything changes when pregnant and even if I think something looks safe, I am still pretty ignorant on what effects all the relaxin pumping through my body are having.

Sometimes I feel kind of lame skipping out of something and doing x-band walks or medicine ball wall sits instead, but I know I can't be competing with others right now. Even though it's hard to not get the 'I'm lifting more than these dudes and I'm pregnant!' rock-star mentality going.

Keep at it lady - just listen to your body, your coach, and don't feel bad taking a break or backing off when you need it. You're still a bad *kitten* just for being there while pregnant. :wink:
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm a crossfitter and plan to continue (modified of course) through my pregnancy. I'm currently 12 weeks and while I FEEL like I should be able to continue all the movements/lifts, I have definitely had to scale back on my intensity considering how quickly I get out of breath now.

I highly suggest checking out CrossFitMom.com if you havent already - it is a great resource and has several modifications and substitutions you can make depending on what trimester you are in.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i don't do crossfit, but I lift heavy. I'm 34w and still lifting 3-4 days per week plus cardio 5-6 days. I've definitely slowed down. From a lifting perspective, I stopped doing exercises on my back around 20w, you'll just get to be too uncomfortable. And the rest of it, I've just modified as I go, i.e. chest press once push ups became too difficult or incline bench when I couldn't be on my back any longer. I haven't really had to reduce my weight too much as far as how much I'm actually lifting for upper. I have definitely had to modify my lower routine. It's getting more difficult to squat these days, so I find myself doing a lot more with my body weight versus anything else these days. I used to do weighted walking lunges and now I do stationary lunges without weight. Things like that. Just listen to your body and don't overexert yourself if you're feeling uncomfortable. If you have stomach pains, there is a reason, slow down and / or take a break.

You, lady, are my inspiration! I'm 18 weeks right now, and continuing to lift (somewhat) heavy. I'm still using the oly bar, and my lifts are still comfortable (just weird to see my belly in the mirror when I squat). Incline bench is a great idea for modified bench press -- I've been wondering how to still keep that up when it gets too uncomfortable to go on my back. I've been doing stronglifts and focusing a lot more on my form and working up on weights at a slower pace instead of aiming for 1RMs. I've been working with a trainer for the last year or so a couple days a week, and it really helps me with ideas of things that I can do to keep me and baby safe. Also, good to have someone who sees you regularly and can tell if something is a bit "off". She says she's preparing for the day my pregnant lady hormones have me crying when she tells me I'm not allowed to lift heavy anymore...