Know YOUR numbers!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Here is a link to a good site that has 2 calculators- one that figures your ideal weight and what your BMR/TDEE would be at that weight, and the one on the right uses your current BF% to figure your BMR/TDEE

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

I really wish that MFP would add the Katch Mcardle calculator to their system as an option. It is just so much more accurate for many people who are considerably overweight.

Interesting. This one puts my calories much lower than most others.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    Debbielynns post was a very informative reply to the OP. Thanks for all the information!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Debbielynns post was a very informative reply to the OP. Thanks for all the information!
    It was very good.
    And, like her, I don't really "eat back" my exercise calories. To me that's an odd mindset. To me, if you tell the calculators that you exercise 1-3 days a week, it tells you what to eat daily. Some of those days YOU AREN'T EXERCISING. Some of those days you are.

Here's my logic:
    if I tell it I DONT exercise at all, it puts me at 1075 calories (for weight loss).
    If I tell it MODERATE exercise 3-5 days a week (I do 4 usually), it puts me at 1535.
    Why would I eat 2000 on exercise days if I burn 500 calories running?

Dunno, I just dont get it. Granted, I haven't lost a pound in a year lol.
    (gotta love that menopause!) But my measurements have changed since I started running!
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    After reading through Debbielyn's post and figuring out my numbers. Seems like the easiest thing to do is get your weight loss calorie number based on how much exercise you do. So the exercise is figured in up front and you don't eat back calories. I feel this is probably the best way, since it's so hard to calculate how many calories you actually burn doing exercise.

Not to mention it just seems easier to me hitting the same number daily rather than the up and down cycle.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    After reading through Debbielyn's post and figuring out my numbers. Seems like the easiest thing to do is get your weight loss calorie number based on how much exercise you do. So the exercise is figured in up front and you don't eat back calories. I feel this is probably the best way, since it's so hard to calculate how many calories you actually burn doing exercise.
    Give that a try. As I said just above you, the other way doesn't work in my head. But math was never my forte. :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    For an entirely different take, look at fat2fit. They suggest eating the number of calories you WILL eat when you get to the smaller weight.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

And they have some good calculators.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    @Sabine -- I tried that because it seemed to make so much sense, but my body pretty quickly adjusted to that level of calorie intake and I stopped losing. It actually had the undesirable effect of lowering my TDEE. When I reach my goal weight, hopefully I can adjust back up to that level. The body has an amazing capacity for adapting to what we give it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    @Sabine -- I tried that because it seemed to make so much sense, but my body pretty quickly adjusted to that level of calorie intake and I stopped losing. It actually had the undesirable effect of lowering my TDEE. When I reach my goal weight, hopefully I can adjust back up to that level. The body has an amazing capacity for adapting to what we give it.
    That's good to know.
    I think at this point I'm just trying not to gain lol.