Calories for Fake Meats

Options
Hello everyone! I have a few favorite restaurants that make lemon grass "chicken" or broccoli "beef," and it is just delicious. I have been staying away from them because I know the calories are probably high. I am also looking for the calorie counts for those tasty fake chicken "drumsticks" with the sugar cane "bone." I am happy with tofu and veggies, but sometimes I like to go out. The drumettes are great for BBQ and Superbowl.

Anyway, does anyone know where to find calorie counts for these?

Thanks!

Replies

• Theplateauqueen
    Options
    Bueller? Anyone? :)

Do you have an idea of where to look?
  • KetsyBaby
    KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If it is a manufactured product, there is likely a website with the information from the company, I personally love Gardein products, they have all the nutrition info on the package.

Some restaurants actually purchase their fake meats from the same companies that make grocery products, so if it is something that you can ask about, do. You have the right to know, if not the recipe, then hints about whether it is made at a shop or from another source. At least if they tell you if it's soy, veg, or some other protein isolate, or say Seitan, you can estimate based on the size of the portion.

Not sure if that is any help, but I did want to let you know I saw the post. :wink:
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Quorn and Morningstar are the most easily accessible fakes in my area, and normally run about 150-200 calories per serving. One serving probably wouldn't be enough for me to consider it a meal, and normally end up adding some sort of sauce or salsa, and veggies, maybe even cheese. This normally puts me around 500 calories for a meal with the supplements.

If you're referring to a restaurant, then who knows what kind of oil, butter and sauces they may be using to bring up the calories. Try checking online for the specific restaurant, or look up comparable ingredients in the database and probably double it considering restaurants are larger servings, and there are many unknowns.
  • Theplateauqueen
    Options
    Hi again,

I am talking about specifically Vietnamese or Thai vegan restaurants. Most of the places I frequent speak little English, so finding out the source is minimal at best. I love the little drumettes, but I have no idea what they run. Things like lemon grass "chicken." I just can't find anything like it. These are not chains by any means, and do not post calories.

I love the Quorn, Smart Ground, Morningstar, etc. Sometimes the substitute is just what I need. I eat a lot of raw fruits, veggies, beans, etc.

Thanks for the input.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's going to be a broad estimate but as Asian mock meats are often made of seitan which is not too dissimilar calorie/protein wise to chicken, I would search for Chinese chicken dishes in the database if there is no entry for vegetarian equivalents.

For tofu dishes also try searching for bean curd as Chinese dishes often call it that.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Good question. I would try searching mfp database, and then the internet. If you don't have those dishes often, just add it in as the closet calories you can find from searching.. That's what I would do. Let us know if you find a more accurate way!