Vegetables and Indian cooking

Options
I kick myself when I get lazy and not cook at home the way I do most days. I have been cooking with care these days. I weigh each ingredient and write down when I make the food.
Most of the cooking I do is so random, Today I made kadhai Paneer ( I don't know how to post pics here), I didn't use much Oil today and it still tasted good but not as great as it does with 150 gms of oil!!!
I made some stirfry vegetables and I am adding the oil pouring down earlier I use to think I added just a little bit. But now I can see the portion of oil in the wok and I can tell close to it's 10 gms how much I am adding.
Usually, in Indian home cooking each vegetable dish has at least 50-100 gms of oil. And it is for a family of 4. Usually kids do not eat much and the adults eat vegetables!!
So during my past month of mindful eating and cooking I found that I am eating most of the vegetables and I am eating most of the oil as well. So last week I started cooking differently. I stir-fry the vegetables in a little bit of Pam spray or a tsp of oil, Prepare the seasoning(Tadka) in 2-3 tsp of oil and then mix them together. This way I have learnt to cook in less than 30 gms of oil than my whopping 80 gms.
You live and learn. I am waiting to see how it affect my weight loss.

Replies

• robinjunco
    robinjunco Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Deeptisingh,
    How have your diet modifications worked out for you? I cook Indian food (or Indian inspired food) regularly and also had to modify the mount of oils and dairy I use. I have also made some recipes with substituting cream/milk for cashew milk or almond milk. But, so far, I haven't found any substitute for real paneer, so I have started using half the amount the recipe calls for. I guess I'd rather have a smaller portion of real paneer instead of a bigger portion of the not-as-good stuff.
  • Deeptisingh
    Deeptisingh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi Robin,
    I have started using Tofu and I marinate it in the mix of Yogurt and milk with a few indian spices. It tastes kind of like paneer. For the fat involved in it I try to use very little oil or butter etc, and add water or buttermilk to get the taste and consistency. I do not use any nut powder instead i use rice powder or potato powder.
    Sorry took a long time to reply as i did not see your post till i logged in from m y computer! I use my cell phone and tablet to access this app and it doesn't allow me to see everything.