I need to do a pull up! Fast!

Options
13»

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Wow...bahahaha..this whole decrease body weight issue is just out of control.

Kitsune...try some rubber bands. You should be able to find them at Walmart/Target in the fitness section. Loop the band around the pullup bar and then place one foot around the band. It will help strenghten you and get your muscles to retain some type of memory. As you feel getting stronger, use a lighter band. Within three weeks you should be able to build up to at least five unassisted pullups. Also, look up portion about "kipping". It just a little hitch move you do to help build momentum and to get you up.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2126185_do-kipping-pullup.html
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AJ05O/ref=asc_df_B0000AJ05O2385278?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1481-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B0000AJ05O

Super awesome! I will give that a try!!

Ooh! Bumping this one for my own use! :happy:
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Soooo... How are those pull-ups? :bigsmile:
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Good question, any closer to the big uno?
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    So, just curious. Why do you NEED to do ONE pull up in one month?

It's related to a job I'm trying to get. One of the physical requirements is to be able to get yourself out of a zipline with no outside assistance which is equivalent to one pull up.

So do you have to do you actually have to do a pull up or get yourself out of the chair for the test? If it's the later, I bet you will be fine. I can't do a pull up as it's just not my thing... however I can do tons of similar things.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    At the moment I am just about managing to increase my weighted pull up strength by 1kg a session, doing them three times a week. I'm on an overall calorie deficit of around 2500 a week, but doing IF with workout days set at TDEE+10%.
    Only just started this - started on 6kg I think and now on 10kg for 3x5 reps (I do a warm up first on a lat pull down machine).

But I could already do 9 pull ups - however seemed to have 'stalled' a bit on that, so decided to go for a progressive increase.
    Eventual aim is to be able to do a one armed pull up - so basically double my body weight for a normal pull up.

If this is going to be a big focus, you need to look at what's going to work best for you.
    If you make sure you get plenty of protein you may still be able to get some 'newbie' gains and increase your strength.

You'll get maximum gains on a calorie surplus, but of course that'll be directly working against you for this as the weight gains may cancel out the strength gains.
    So it's going to be a case of working out the best ratio of weight loss vs strength gain.

Instinctively I felt that losing weight would be your best bet, but thinking about the figures, that may not be the case.

Anyway, enough waffling...
    If you can, do controlled 'negatives'; lowering yourself (I couldn't even quite manage this for one armed.)
    If not I'd be tempted to start trying it with a chair as far away as you can get it, with your feet as high up on as you can do and perform the pull action like that*.
    Work out a position that can let you do it for say 3x5 reps, or 5x5 reps with a decent rest inbetween.
    Then in a couple of days do the same, but more your feet further up the chair and/or the chair further away.
    Move on to negatives from there.
    Make sure you're getting plenty of protein (around 1g per lb of bodyweight), especially around exercising, to ensure you get best benefit.

* Please do make sure it's all safe, this can be dangerous if you're not careful.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    So, just curious. Why do you NEED to do ONE pull up in one month?

It's related to a job I'm trying to get. One of the physical requirements is to be able to get yourself out of a zipline with no outside assistance which is equivalent to one pull up.

So do you have to do you actually have to do a pull up or get yourself out of the chair for the test? If it's the later, I bet you will be fine. I can't do a pull up as it's just not my thing... however I can do tons of similar things.

I went in for the interview today and they basically said what you just said. In the handbook it's equated to being able to do a full pullup but the girl who interview me said she can't do a full on either but it still able to get out.

That being said, I'm still working on it because it seems like an awesome goal anyway.

I have already gotten significantly better, especially at the controlled fall. I think by the 1st if I can't already do one I'll be damn close.

Thank you all for your suggestions! They are helping greatly! Though yesterday and today I've had to take breaks because I'm so sick, I expect I will be returning to working out shortly.