What's working? What's not?

Options
Huffington Post 7-13-12 Weight Loss Research

"So what behaviors worked? Women who kept food journals lost six more pounds than counterparts who did not, though it was important to keep good journaling habits, such as recording honestly and accurately, consistantly and diligently reporting and adding details like how foods were cooked, what condiments were served and other complete information.

Additionally, eating out and skipping meals were associated with less effective weight loss. In fact, women who skipped a meal lost, on average, eight fewer pounds than those who ate all meals. And women who said they ate lunch out at least five days per week, lost an average six fewer pounds than those who cooked for themselves."

In reading a success story, found this citation. yeah for logging!
Dawn

Replies

• Michelleszoo68
    Michelleszoo68 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That's great information Dawn - thanks for sharing! I know logging in my food and exercise journal definitely makes all the difference for me. Being accountable for everything I choose to put in my mouth helps keep me on my path. It's also a good reminder when I don't eat enough (I still occasionally fall back into that old starvation diet way of thinking). My food diary told me I only had 950 calories consumed (plus burned 500+ in exercise that day) and my body could go into "starvation mode". So even though I was at first feeling all proud of myself, the reminder that not eating back fires on you helped also. So I drank a glass of lowfat milk and ate a piece of fruit. Logging also it keeps me motivated to exercise, even when some days I don't feel like it. Seeing those extra calories I get from exercising, even if I don't use them, is very motivating. Logging my food journal also helps me keep my screw ups to a minimum. I had some buttered popcorn last night while watching a movie, but knowing I had to log it later helped me keep it under control.
    The weekends are the hardest! I have a slim and trim husband and 17 year old son living with me who eat all and whatever they want so weekends I'm surrounded with temptation!! Buttered popcorn last night and today for lunch they are having homemade bacon cheeseburgers (aaarrrgghh!! heaven help me!!) . I wanted to head out for a ride to avoid it, but the snow storm picked up, so here I am hiding out on MFP until the cheeserburgers are done and gone! LOL.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The weekends are the hardest! I have a slim and trim husband and 17 year old son living with me who eat all and whatever they want so weekends I'm surrounded with temptation!! Buttered popcorn last night and today for lunch they are having homemade bacon cheeseburgers (aaarrrgghh!! heaven help me!!) . I wanted to head out for a ride to avoid it, but the snow storm picked up, so here I am hiding out on MFP until the cheeserburgers are done and gone! LOL.

good on you. I couldn't live with that! someday? I am going to the monthly clicker meeting. Just 5 of us. but I had to request a moratorium on sugary stuff. Most people just don't understand. I might not eat there, but I will eat some time! Sitting with cookies for a few hrs ??? No can do!

If I lived at your house I would hold up in a bedroom! You are stronger than me!