Nursing 1 year old

Options
Well, I have finally gotten around to losing baby weight, from my 4 1/2 year old and 1 year old. I am still nursing my 1 year old and plan to until 2ish. My daily calories is 1270-and I haven't been adding more for nursing. Like I said, my child is 1 and really doesn't "need" breastmilk anymore. I have been doing this for about 3 weeks. My milk supply is fine still. I only eat more calories when they are really burned off through exercise. I am afraid if I add more calories, I will stop losing weight. And since my milk supply is fine, (I always had an abundant supply) do I really have to?

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think you need to visit why you're considering adding more calories.

A recommended amount of calories for a breastfeeding mother is 300-500 extra per day. So if 1270 is your daily amount and you're not eating back exercise calories, it might be worth adding some more. I find the additional calories help my mood more than anything else.
  • mommamellymac
    mommamellymac Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    After you start giving your child solids, you should add an extra 300 calories. 500 for exclusively breastfeeding, but since you are comfort nursing then I would suggest adding an extra 300 calories. Seems crazy to eat more to lose weight but your body needs it! Good luck!!!
  • TiffCK
    TiffCK Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input!