switching up runs

Options
aj445
aj445 Posts: 183 Member
So my training plan calls for 6 miles today and an 11 miles next weekend. I know for sure I can't do 11 miles outside next weekend. I'm home by myself with the kids. But there is a small chance I'll be able to do it today- my bf isn't home right now, but will be later on. As long as I don't have late houseguests tonight I could get it in. Do I get outside to do it today if I can and switch the days my training plan calls for or follow the plan and go next weekend??

Replies

• trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Switch it if you feel up to 11 miles. Life happens. I modify my schedule all the time and seem to manage OK!

Seriously--this is supposed to enrich your life, right? Balance trumps whatever your schedule says, especially when you have kids and a job and a house to run, ad nauseum. :flowerforyou:
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Agree, if you feel up to it get the 11 today. Another alternative is to split the 11 next weekend if that is an option. You can do your long runs split (same day) now and then and still get the same benefit
  • aj445
    Options
    hmmmm. Interesting. Never considered splitting it. I thought since the purpose was to run long and slow that it should all be together!

I'm up for 11 today. Feel great cause this weeks mileage was a bit lower than what I've been doing so it's been a nice break. But I am cooking a duck today too haha. So I need the afternoon for that.

Thanks! I'll see how the day goes and go from there.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I swith my runs all the time, as it depends on child care. Today would normally be my rest day but since I wasnt able to have a long run day yesterday, I did it today. Schedueles are great but remember that you can also vary it to suit your lifestyle.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Like most runs long days are multi purpose but a big reason is to increase mitochondria in the legs. Mitochondria is what allows you to use oxygen and energy and by default not a lot of it in your legs. When you do long runs your body basically says "Hey, we better build up more mitochondria in case this idot makes us work this hard again." So if you split the long run within the same day this will still happen. :)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it today! My training plan calls for a shorter weekend run every 3 or 4 weeks, and I move that around to fit my schedule sometimes.
  • aj445
    Options
    I ended up doing the 11. not outside though :( but after talking about it I really wanted to do it! Longest run I've done since my half last year and it was great!