pressure in eyes?

Options
ritasice21
ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
I am new to this, 3 weeks in. I started light with standard bar and am only up to squat 62, OHP 52, and Deadlifts 116. Today while doing it I felt pressure in my eyes. It started on my 5x5 on OHP. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It is sort of freaking me out a little. Not sure if it is a coincidence or cause by the lifting.

Replies

• alwyndacara
    alwyndacara Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Are you breathing properly? That's usually what I find, is that I'm holding my breath. No such luck on the heavier weights though, I need my breath to get my *kitten* back up!
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Not sure, I will have to pay attention to that next time.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have not noticed that, but I did find out something that was pretty scary. Because of other factors, I have Chronic Kidney disease, and my blood work is monitored fairly regularily. Recent blood work came back with a massive increase in my BUN and Creatinine levels. (I don't use any supplements). Anyway, the kidney doc says you can actually damage your kidneys by not breathing during a lift . It causes your BP to increase dramatically when you hold your breath, hence the possible kidney damage...SO BREATHE. It's important.
    That said, I have no idea whay my tests were so off, I DO breathe, I sound like a damn steam train.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It's probably an individual physiology thing. I definitely do the Valsava (hold your breath) thing on heavy reps. I also need to breathe between reps - at most every two, and the closer I am to maxing out, between every rep. It's amazing how much weaker I feel when I've forgotten to breathe...

On the other hand, I have freaklishly low blood pressure in the first place (98-100 / 62-66) so need all the help I can get!