My routine

Options
stacw1987
stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
Hi all,

Ok so on Sunday I started my routine! I have started a new weights/toning program. Uusally all I did was cardio but I think I need the weights now to tone up and get to where I am comfortable.

I am 124lbs (5,2") and would like to get to around 115-119lbs. (I am using Jillian Michaels as my weight/ goal)

My program consists of a dumblell only all over body workout (thats all I have access to in my gym, no racks/bars etc) then a glutes focus program which I do every other day and an abs focused program that I do 4-5 times a week.

Since I started the weights I have starting taking a micro whey protien by reflex after I train. I am also hoping to do cardio most days but certain days where I just clast cardio.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Anything I can do to improve what I am doing or anything extra I can do/take?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I see no one responded to you. How many times are you doing your dumbbell workout? And what exercises are included in that workout? What are your goals? weight loss? gaining muscle? etc...
  • stacw1987
    Options
    Hi, thank you for your reply! :)

Ok ultimately I wanted to do crossfit but there is no gyms around here that do that and I decided attempting it alone woks be to dangerous. My aim is a body like Jillian Micheals. I love her figure. She's the same height as me efc and I think she lives fab. It might be a high aim but we have to aim somewhere :)

I try to do the dumbell program about 5 times a week. Each day varies as its split up in to 3 days. It includes exercises like dumbell dead lifts, Arnold press, bicep curls, incline pec flies, corkscrew, dumbell row kickbacks, shoulder press, dumbell lunge, weighted squats etc.

At the moment by body fat is 21.2%. Do you have an idea what I should be aiming for?
  • stacw1987
    Options
    Sorry about the typos. My iPhone predicts my words x
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'll start out by saying that I'm not an expert... However, if you're doing a full body routine five days a week with a focus on glutes every other day and abs every other day, you might be overtraining (depending on the intensity of your full body routine).

If you are lifting really heavy you may want to switch the full body routine to three days a week. From what I understand, weight training creates tiny tears in your muscles - and you start to see results when your muscles have time to repair themselves.

There are lots of great dumbbell programs out there. Check this page out - it gives you lists of two, three and four day workout routines.
    http://produmbbellworkouts.com/dumbbell-routines/2-day-beginner-full-body-workout/

I'm not really sure what you should aim for as far as body fat. I tend to believe that I'll know it when I see it :)

Good luck!
  • ReillyCraig
    Options
    That sounds like a great routine, and having your whey after your workout is definitely the way to go. As for the routine it sounds like the same basics of mine (only Dumbbell and Mat work exercises) since I can't go to gyms daily either, plus working out at home has it's benefits in my opinion.

The only other tips I could give is to try and save your cardio for after your workout so you don't burn yourself out and to maybe try doing a split of days where you train certain muscle groups to give them a day or two's rest. Although doing full body exercises daily is a great way to get tone and shape.
    Only other thing is to keep tracking! MFP has been a saviour for me to get myself on track, and it's a great place to find the motivation to keep going! Good Luck :D
  • ReillyCraig
    Options
    Oh and for "Do/Take" Try not to get into creatine or pre workout supplements if you can, I always prefer to go natural and get energy from your food rather than expensive powder. And The main thing you should try and take is Vitamins, multivitamins if you don't have much time or money to go out shopping for another monthly drop. But I suggest to try and get specified vitamins, such as Calcium carbonate, or B12 and Vit C, instead of multivitamins because the flat amount more you get in them. And its always handy to have a Monday-Sunday pill container and have it bedside so you never forget (don't forget to refill it though ;P)
  • stacw1987
    Options
    Thank you both so much for the advise! Its hard to know if your doing the right thing so great to hear that what I am doing should benefit me!

At the moment I take fish oils, vitamins and Tonalin CLA. The CLA is just to help me get my fat down a little more and it seems to be working....however that is not a permanent supplement.

Thank you both for the advise/tips :)