5x5 Squats - need advice

Options
gypsyrose64
gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/889898-stronglifts-5x5-squats

Posted on the exercise forum, but I'll post the link here as well.

Looking for advice on how to proceed based on the limitations I have at the moment. (see link above)

Suggestions?

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I would watch some of those videos and work on stretching and flexibility - it may not be as long as you think before you can do a full squat - as in it may just be an issue of stiffness and flexibility isuses. I'd try going just bodyweight for a week, do some other bodyweight work like pushups and planks/supermans/situps for that week, and then reevaluate where you think you are at.

After that, come back and we'll plan based on that.
  • gypsyrose64
    Options
    I started DDP/YGR yoga a couple weeks ago and my flexibility is definitely improving, but it's slow. I think part of the problem with my knees is the thickness of my thigh seems to restrict the range of motion my knees can complete. Sitting back on my calves, knees bent = torture for me at the moment. It feels like the knee-cap is going to pop off if I push too hard on range of motion.

DDP has some deep squat moves that push me, so I'm working towards it. On one hand, I know I felt like squatting the bar 1/2 way worked some major muscles, but on the other - I don't want to start a program at low weight and train myself to do it half-*kitten*.

I watched videos enough to recognize that 1/2 squats engages the quads and gives the hamstrings a pass and puts more pressure on lower back. If that happens enough, you end up with an power imbalance - which only adds to the knee and back problem with heavier weights. With that said, I like having a bar when doing squats. Using it seems to give me a center of balance to focus on. Maybe I'll grab a lighter bar and postpone 5x5 until I can complete a full squat.

Sigh... I hate having to start so far behind the curve! *grumbles* lol
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    have you tried squatting with your legs further apart, toes pointed slightly more out? Everyone seems to find a slightly different stance more comfortable - I squat pretty wide and my toes go out a little further than most and that works best for me with a heavy bar, even though I have the flexibility to squat ATG in any position I want to I don't really have the power unless I'm set properly, whereas my husband squats pretty narrow and toes barely point out much at all.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Sigh... I hate having to start so far behind the curve! *grumbles* lol

Don't feel bad. It took me a week to learn to squat below parallel properly without any weights at all (not even a bar ... nothing). I used a 2x4 under my heels once even, just to get a feel for how low I was actually supposed to go. It's a mental thing as much as a physical thing.

I watched Rippetoe's squat videos over and over again and practiced and practiced. Today (5th workout) I finally did it the "official" way (all reps with the bar ... still no weights though).

It's all good. You go along as you can. There's no Stronglifts police walking around pushing you to lift beyond what you're safely able to. Form is far more important than weight.
  • gypsyrose64
    Options
    i finally got back to the gym tonight, and tried to implement all the tips from what I read and saw in video. My squats are better, lower and more stable now. My knee is acting up from sunday, so I suspect that was done wrong. Was able to do 5x5 squats no problem. Will probably lay off the 5x5 until I work more flexibility in with some "squat therapy".

Also have another issue now. First time overhead press with 45 bar almost did me in. I might have screwed my back on the first set because it was more difficult than I anticipated. So I dropped it to 3 reps per set. Praying tomorrow morning, my back is just sore.

As much as I want to do this, I think I have the cart before the horse. I need to work on my core and flexibility before I throw around anything heavier than my 215 lb frame. My gut is disproportionately large to the rest of me. It's like my entire middle turned to mush the last 5 yrs, and the spine is not very stable. Was stretching today, and just leaning over and dangling my arms makes it pop several times.

Going to give myself a month of other stuff and revisit this 5x5 then.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different ways to approach lifting. If the bar is too heavy, use dumbbells. Make sure you stretch before a workout (I always do yoga and stretch my entire body all the way through) and that you warm up (I go on the elliptical or for a walk around the block). If you need to use no weights at all for squats and such, then so be it. I had my bar sit on a couple crates for deadlifts and power cleans for the first week without any plates added to it. Who cares? Modify, adapt and overcome.

You could also try just using your body weight for resistance for a while, or bands. I talked to a trainer the other day and that's his philosophy: First bands, then dumbbells, then bar training. Everyone has their own approach. Find the one that works best for you, and go for it. :smile:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Oh, this was so good to read!

I am doing week 1 and did the B workout tonight. The hubs stays with me to keep check on my form. Squats are so hard for me! I have spent the last year babying my knees because of injuries sustained over a year ago. It's good to know that squatting parallel won't hurt them, but my form sucks soooo badly! I have bench, rows, overhead, and dead lift down, no problem, but of course the most important one makes me feel like a lamer. :ohwell:

The hubs has been very encouraging and told me to practice squatting without the bar and to keep my back straight. Apparently, I am bending forward at the waist.

I am just glad that I am not the only one who is having to work at these!
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    These two links have helped me. I knew I squatting wrong but wasn't real sure what I was doing wrong. I have now started all over again with squats. Starting first with FORM before weights! I knew I was doing them wrong when I couldn't squat in front of a wall without my knees touching the wall. Now I'm practicing in front of a wall and I felt it in my hips this morning, which is where I need to build my strength. I believe there is a version #3 as well that #2 will link you to. I'm getting enough out of the 2 below for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=wY4gwVlO_k0&feature=endscreen