So I Need Weights...

Options
juliemouse83
juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
I hate going to the gym, and since we have a space we are converting to a home gym, I figured I would outfit it with my own weights. I am a self- admitted weakling, which is why I want to lift. Well, that and getting my rack back.

There are so many options, and as a noob, I don't know where to start. Initially one of the standard bars will probably suffice, but everything I have read says that I will more than likely need an Olympic weight bar.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to start? I am kind of on a budget for the next few months, so I can't race out and drop $300 on a set to get started, yet I don't want to use dumbbells. I want to start within the next week. The Shred is okay, but I want more, if that makes any sense.

Do y'all have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Strt checking out Craigslist, the used sporting good stores, goodwill, and so on. See what's available. The annoying thing about standard bars is that the plates won't fit an oly bar so you'll end up having to replace the whole shebang, but if you find a set used then you can always resell it for around the same amount (maye take a small hit) and it will certainly tide you over for a little while.

Squat racks are usually cheaper than power racks but look for either in those same places, and a bench is usually VERY cheap used
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Thank you SOOO much! I am really looking forward to giving this a try! What do I have to lose, right?
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    So, I was telling my boss about starting StrongLifts, and go figure...She's got a standard set of weights she is going to GIVE me to use until I outgrow them and need an Oly set. :smile:

Stipulation? That I pay it forward and give them to someone else when I am through with them.

I love it when a plan comes together.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Keep checking craigslist, and you can put together an olympic set slowly, if necessary, while you use the standard set. Good luck!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    So, I was telling my boss about starting StrongLifts, and go figure...She's got a standard set of weights she is going to GIVE me to use until I outgrow them and need an Oly set. :smile:

Stipulation? That I pay it forward and give them to someone else when I am through with them.

I love it when a plan comes together.

How awesome is that!
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    And I am REALLY impatient, so rather than wait for her to bring them, I think I will volunteer to go get them, LOL...