Do you eat differently on race day?

Options
ofccat
ofccat Posts: 284 Member
There are a lot of theories out there on how to eat before a race. From not changing anything to carb loading. What have you found works for you?

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Well you should be prepared and have a plan set for race day as if it was just another training long run. Carb loading happens the day or 2 before, not the day of. Some will even tell you carb loading isn't neccessary and its all individual, no one runner is the same and it is necessary for many. How you fuel for your long runs should be how you fuel for the race, nothing new. Race week is also not the time to try any new foods, new shoes, new anything!

I increased my carbs 2 days prior up to 60-65% as I did for all my runs longer than 10 miles. The day before the race I chose my heaviest carb meal at lunch and lighter at dinner only bc I was going to bed at 8 pm in order to be up at 4 am to eat and get ready for my race. This helps with bloating and feeling sluggish. I also ensured I increased my water intake over that week and it truly helped as I hardly had to do water stops.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just weird. I don't do anything differently and don't like the gels or gummies - they bother my stomach. I'll eat maybe a banana or a KIND bar, a little cheese or something for protein that morning. Nothing different the night before. But I've never done more than a half marathon.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just weird. I don't do anything differently and don't like the gels or gummies - they bother my stomach. I'll eat maybe a banana or a KIND bar, a little cheese or something for protein that morning. Nothing different the night before. But I've never done more than a half marathon.

You're lucky! I wish I could do this but my severe hypoglycemia prevents me from doing so. That's why my carbs have to be spot on and I have to use something mid race. Tried once not doing this and I had a severe blood sugar crash that took a few days to recover from. :/
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

You're lucky! I wish I could do this but my severe hypoglycemia prevents me from doing so. That's why my carbs have to be spot on and I have to use something mid race. Tried once not doing this and I had a severe blood sugar crash that took a few days to recover from. :/

Oh yeah, that isn't good. I was given the advice by a runner friend to eat a salt bagel before my half. That day, I ate 1/2 plain bagel and some banana, but have since switched it up because I don't eat much bread these days... I do admit to eating cupcakes AFTER, though!! :smile:
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything different either. I find if I try switching upy normal eating I get sick :-(