Be kind to Yourself

Options
henryvg2
henryvg2 Posts: 33 Member
I see a lot of folks beating themselves up for not losing their 'required' pound this week.

I had a couple weeks of gains, so i know how crappy it is to have to log that gain. But....

I remind myself of a speech I give my students about the 3 Rs-respecting themselves, respecting others, and taking responsibility for their actions.
The first is the most important, to respect yourself, treat yourself as good or better than your best friend. If you are talking in your head about yourself, use that as a yardstick. If you wouldn't say that to your best friend, don't say it to yourself. YOU know where all your soft spots are and just how to stick things in them so you believe bad stuff. You wouldn't do that to your friend, don't do it to YOU.
Respecting others is easy, do unto others,,,,everybody gets that.
Taking responsibility isn't about 'fessing up', it's about taking credit for your accomplishments. They don't have to be huge, but you need to celebrate them. If YOU do it, you become independent from needing someone else to 'give you a cookie' when you do something good. It gives you huge power in your life and puts you in charge.

celebrate sticking to your logging.
celebrate honesty
tell yourself good things about yourself.

If you're doing what you set out to, you WILL lose weight. Be patient, needing patience is God's way of telling you you have a lesson to learn.

Replies

• Sharon_0719
    Sharon_0719 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks. This made me smile :)
  • jc1231
    jc1231 Posts: 67
    Options
    Thank you! I so needed to read that today!
  • doin_it
    doin_it Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Thanks...great words of advice and definitely a pep talk that most of us could use!! Thanks again!!
  • suzy1220
    suzy1220 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well said. Weight loss is a fickle thing. You can do everything right and still not lose and you can do a lot wrong and lose. Who ever knows what your body will do, especially when it all comes down to 30 seconds on a scale one day a week. That 30 seconds and that number don't dictate what you did all week, which is why you need to focus on all of the other things that henryvg2 said!
  • babyskunkles
    babyskunkles Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Love It! A lot of stuff I need to work on.