morning (all day) sickness remedies

Options
ybodwen
ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
Anything work well for you? Please share!

Replies

• buffykaz
    buffykaz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've experienced a lot more nausea this time around that with my last two pregnancies. I find that having smaller meals more often is better than having 3 big meals a day. I also drink peppermint tea to help with the nausea.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Taking Vitamin B6 really helped me. Check with your doctor or midwife first but it should be fine.
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    *bump* for answers... :smile: I am going to ask my midwife about the B6! The tea sounds like a great idea too!
  • aprilkida
    aprilkida Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely dealing with a lot more nausea this time around too! Sea Bands! They really do help. That, and the smaller meals throughout the day. You can get Sea Bands at drug stores. I think they are by the anti-nausea medication.
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm finding each pregnancy is totally different some of the things that worked with my first are:

- sour candy (lemon drops, shocktarts especially)
    - mint (put a few drops of mint essentail oils in a light fabric scarf and if you feel sick breathe deeply into the scarf)
    - milk (Don't know why but it helps almost immediately - also great for my heart burn)
    - saltines/granola bars/slice of bread - something bland for your stomach acids to work on
    - avoid acids (tomatoes, lemons, etc...)
    - Vitamin B6
    - avoiding prenatals with iron

This pregnancy - practically nothing helped! Here were the only things that gave me any relief:

- milk (yeah! that one stayed the sam!)
    - keeping things from touching my neck (necklaces, scarves, hair - anything that touched my neck would make me gag)
    - deep breathing (If I could focus my breathing, I could sometimes avoid throwing up)

I've also heard the following suggestions - they didn't work for me, but that doesn't mean they won't help you :wink:

- V8 Tomato or Vegetable Juice
    - Seabands
    - Laying on your left side
    - Ginger
    - Sipping on soda

GOOD LUCK LADIES!
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sorry you have to deal with this. I had horrible morning sickness and finally had to go on Zofran, it helped a lot.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Get a stomach bug! (Just kidding, but I had worse nausea with this pregnancy that magically disappeared after I got a stomach bug around 8.5 weeks.)

I thankfully didn't get hit hard with this with either pregnancy, but I did have bad food aversions with both, and they were worse this time. Soups were my savior - especially tomato soup! Just thinking about that now actually makes me hungry :)

I used to work with a lady who had HORRIBLE morning sickness. We'd have to be really careful about even drinking coffee or eating a banana near her because the smell would make her sick!

She bought these ginger cookies (that I have seen in regular supermarkets) and swore by them. I tried one once (at her invitation - and I was not pregnant at the time), and I thought they were really tasty. They had a bit more ginger than typical ginger snaps. http://www.stauffers.com/products/assortedcookies?pro_id=35ffd136-2546-4d13-a431-24cd9ca00402
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas... *crossing my fingers* something works!
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What worked for me is eating every hour or two and I loved sour drinks. The thing that got me through the nausea was Trader Joe's Low Calorie Lemonade. It's really tart and I would have that with lots of ice.

I also always had a stash of crackers and string cheese for a little protein.

I hope you start to feel better!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    This pregnancy has been pretty mild, but baby 1 and 2 I thought were going to come up instead of out I was so sick!

1. I can't get hungry. I need to nibble throughout the day.
    2. I can't get over-full.
    3. I need to keep a humidifier running. If I get congested, I'm sick.
    4. Hard candies to suck on seem to help settle my stomach on days that it just isn't happy.
    5. McDonald's Coke for the really bad days. (Regular, not Diet) They put something extra in that stuff, I swear.
    6. I have to pay attention to what foods, smells and textures bother me and keep them away.
    7. I need to stay relaxed and sometimes just really take my time, no matter how frustrating that can be.

This works for me. I hope it helps!
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant the only thing that helped me was saltines eaten first thing in the morning and whenever I felt sick. Eating regularly helped as well. If I skipped a meal or did not eat enough I felt sick.
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Popsicles help too! :-)
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    lemons/limes and lemonade!

Take your prenatal vitamin at night with a snack....and if your doctor allows, take the gummy prenatal vitamins instead.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    PreggiePops (sold at Babies R' Us) are the BEST!! They seriously work so well, and you get to have a lollipop!

Preggie_Pops.jpg
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have found that eating CONSTANTLY helps me. My typical work day will look something like this:
    8:00, breakfast (carbs+protein)
    9:00-9:30, cup of peppermint tea and bite of string cheese
    9:30-10:00, rest of string cheese
    10:00-11:00, serving of goldfish crackers
    11:30-12:00, 1/2 of an orange or 1 clementine
    12:30, 1/2 of my lunch (usually vegetable soup)
    2:00, couple of soda crackers before taking a walk during my official lunch break.
    3:00, rest of my lunch
    3:30-4:30, 1/2 peanut butter sandwich
    4:30-5:00, apple slices or baby carrots

Thankfully, my all day nausea seems to be easing off and mostly affecting me from 9pm to 10am now. Hopefully yours will let up a bit soon, too!
  • amitytwibell
    amitytwibell Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    With my first one, the only thing that seemed to help at all was sucking on Hall's Vitamin C cough drops, specifically the lemon ones. I also noticed that it helped a little to take my vitamins at different times (I took the gummies, that you are supposed to take two of). I would take one in the morning with breakfast and one at night. Thankfully, I haven't had any nausea with this pregnancy yet!