Sigma Vs Tamron

Options
traceyjj
traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
Hi All
I recently got back into photography (sold all my Olympus gear a couple of years ago, and reinvested in a different system)
I want to buy a super-wide zoom (10-20 or 10-24) The only local camera shop switched from selling the sigma to a tamron. I have no experience with Tamron lenses at all, but have used a few sigma ones in my time....
So does anyone have any experiences with either of the 2 wide-angle lenses above, my main concerns are picture quality, and build quality.
Many thanks
T :)

Replies

• thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My Uncle has the Nikon fit Sigma 10-20mm and it's a very nice lens. Pictures are nice and sharp, it's pretty quick to focus, it's heavy and feels solid and not plasticy. I haven't used the Tamron to compare though but I've heard good things about it too.
  • traceyjj
    Options
    Thanks, the Sigma does get a better write up, so in theory it should be a better lens, but tests are one thing, using it in the real world is a better test for me.
  • thegeordielass
    Options
    If it helps any here's some photos I took with it. I'm not claiming to be the best photographer in the world though!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/geordiekat/sets/72157625738242579/
  • traceyjj
    Options
    Thanks for sharing those. It helps a lot as those are generally the sorts of image I tend to take the most.
  • thegeordielass
    Options
    It takes a little bit of getting used to - especially at the 10mm end. You can get so close to any foreground objects I kept finding myself bumping into things thinking I was much further back. You'll love whichever lens you pick I'm sure.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Tamron fanboy here. All of my better lenses are Tamron and they function wonderfully. I've got a 17-50mm f2.8 that is awesome. If I had to pick apart the Tamrons I have it would be they focus a little slow.

I also have a 35-105 f2.8 and a 200-400mm f5.6 both of them were bought back when I was shooting 35mm.

JM
  • traceyjj
    Options
    Thanks for your view too. I am going to see if I can find somewhere they sell them both and take my camera and memory card along to try them both, just to see if theres any difference in the images taken.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    no experience with sigma but no complaints about my Tamron :)
    x