Give yourself 30 days - please

Options
I am posting this because I have recently finished a 30-day Paleo eating challenge that I made for myself to find out if I have a specific trigger food for the HS. As I was in the midst of this 30 days, I came across information about "leaky gut" -- and boy does it sound plausible.

I found this book "It Starts With Food" http://www.amazon.com/Starts-Food-Discover-Whole30-Unexpected/dp/1936608898/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360759889&sr=1-1&keywords=it+starts+with+food
and I started reading it about 35 days into my Paleo eating... I immediately dumped the sugar... real and stevia and honey from my diet.

30 days is nothing when you can possibly clean up your skin ... please, everyone... if you can't afford 9.99 for the Kindle version of the book, I will somehow get it to you... This is a must read and I believe it will be a life-saver for most of us, if not all.

In health,
Peg

Replies

• katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of research on this since you emailed me, and I'm planning on starting as soon as I get back from my interview this weekend. Because I'm a vegetarian, I have a few extra hurdles to figure out so I can get sufficient protein, but I'm excited to at least try. I also went to my doctor yesterday and had some blood drawn. I'm getting the basic lipid and glucose panel, but I'm also getting tested for celiac disease to see if I have gluten problems in general. Paleo will help with that, but it will be good to know if I'm gluten intolerant! Thanks for bringing this to my attention Peg. I've started a tumblr called "Partial paleo" where I'll be documenting the transition and my attempts at adding meat into my diet. I'll keep you updated as I go along! Lastly, I'm so thrilled the challenge has worked so well for you.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Kat -on the Whole9 site they have a shopping list specifically for vegetarians... so once you're ready, I suggest you follow this first because it is based in Paleo but takes it a little further for the first 30 day Whole30. You stop all sugar, including stevia, honey, agave and molasses. No "paleo-izing" desserts by using almond flour and agave to make a cake. Not for the first 30.

http://whole9life.com/itstartswithfood/
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look into this tonight :)
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    Options
    So, after following Paleo for 35ish days and then the Whole30 for another 19 (because I was sidelined by my emotions!), I made a pot of my famous (not world famous, but famous just the same!) Smoked Turkey Thigh and Bean soup... I was taking it to a hike/lunch that I was attending on Sunday morning. On Saturday I had to sample this to make sure that it was worth taking to feed a bunch of people... and it was good... so I had some more...
    and then....
    All Saturday night I was scratching ... you know how it is when something is "boiling up"....
    On Sunday I ate more of this soup because I wanted it.
    On Sunday afternoon when I got home from my hike I had a breakout on my right thigh.
    I do believe that beans (not sure if all, or just some types) play a part in my HS.
    The beans in this soup were: kidney, navy, lentil, red chili beans, cannellini and black beans. I don't know if I will do a test of each of these separately in the future or not, but, for right now, no beans.
    (damn!)
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    Options
    Well, actually, the more I think about it, my previous post is just not very scientific.... it could be beans (many say it is)... but I did fail on Friday night because someone offered me a piece of storemade birthday cake and instead of saying no thank you, I took it and ate it.

So, that was sugar, flour, dairy, and who knows what all else, that I hadn't been eating for at least 19 days.

So I'm back on the Whole30 for 30 full days (and maybe longer - I'd really like my skin to be near clear!) before I make any more trials. I want real true trials, not possible issue causers.

I am heading to Florida in the end of May, and I won't be in charge of the food at all... I'd like to be through this and know what does and doesn't affect me (relative to HS) before then!

I'll report back.