Trick for getting Water down first few days post-op

Options
OneDimSim
OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
I wish someone had told me this - I read it on a forum and thought that makes a lot of sense!!! For the first few days you your tummy is still quite swolen, so it is hard to get down the minimum water intake. Someone had suggested to walk around the living room (or wherever) while you drink as this sort of "jiggles down" the water!

Even now drinking 16 oz of water at one sitting is not my favorite thing as it strains your little tummy, but if i take a 7 minute walk and actively drink during that time it is easy to get down!

Replies

• tianormie
    tianormie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find that if I start feeling full right away, walking around a bit does help. Keep up the good work.
  • Cheekybookworm
    Options
    This one was definitely a challenge for me.

As others have sad a swollen tummy makes it difficult to meet goal volumes.

I tried to find a temperature that worked - some were definitely better than others - warm was best for me (room temp or lukewarm). Ice cold and hot made my new pouch ANGRY. Also, sometimes broth worked better than sweet or plain water. Decaf tea and coffee were out - they were irritating. Having said that everyone is different.

Learning to sip was also a new one for me - Pre-surgery I was used to chugging or sucking through a straw a bottle of liquid in no time flat. So it became critical I had a bottle or cup in my hand at all times - I'd sip, sip, sip and wait a few minutes and sip, sip, sip again (little baby sips). I didn't make goal volumes initially but did everything I could to strive toward that goal. I was terrified of ending up in the ED with dehydraytion - which I didn't. Getting to goal volumes was a slow and steady process. I'm four months post op and can easily get it all in (without a straw or gulping without taking a breath).

Just do your best and if you're not eating or waiting the allotted amount of time before and after eating - keep sipping. I thought it was hillarious that my mouth always had something in it the first few months post surgery.

You're doing awesome!

Jess
  • lolo1994
    lolo1994 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see this topic because I one week out and I having a horrible time getting my water and protein drinks in. I have been half way to my goal the last 4 days. I'm always feeling bloated and burping all the time. I know its my reaction to the protein shake so I am trying to find a more agreeable one. I have done pure protein, lean protein, muscle milk (which is much better) and coco libre (coconut water with protein).

Tomorrow is my first post-op appt so I hope the Dr. will give me some good advice.

I'm worried that if I don't get all my liquids in my organs will shut down, I will be exhausted and lose my hair.

We will see, it's a struggle day by day.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 06/10/13. As I left the hospital the next day, the bariatric nurse told me flat out that I wouldn't be able to meet protein goals the first day or so, so I just did what I could. The first night was still scary (wondering if I was going to starve ha-ha) but slowly it got easier and was okay within a few days to a week. A month later a gulp still takes a moment to process & foods are harder - but I like being slowed down!
    I'm allergic to dairy, so I used almond milk and an egg-(albumin)-based protein supplement. It went down fine, tasty too, My favorite is a rich chocolate supplement from online. (Can we give endorsements on this website?)
    I stuck almost exclusively to protein shakes to meet goals. Was told shakes counted as liquid. When desperate for other tastes , substituted warm savory chicken broth for liquid; or stirred incompletely and had "shake batter" to chew before swallowing. Jello also gave "pretend solid" taste (but empty calories).
    As mentioned above, walking helped too. So does reclining and waiting.
    By the way, they fill our abdomen with gas to make room to do the surgery. It takes awhile for the gas & burping to go away And some people become lactose intolerant after surgery. Most protein supplements have whey in them which is dairy. Maybe an egg or soy (not as good) based supplement would help?
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was so glad to see this discussoion. Today was my first day eating/ drinking after my surgery on Monday. This is much more difficult than ithought it would be. I was a 12or so cup a day drinker before surgery, so only getting 3 cups in today(not including my protein drinks) was odd for me. I too am afraid of ending up dehydrated, especially with the summer heat. The gas doesnt help, as i already feel full. Very humbling experience for me today. Knocked me down the cocky ladder quite a few rungs :blushing:
    a whole new way of life. Time to relearn how to eat and drink.
  • therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What you are experiencing is VERY normal as are your fears. You cannot realistically meet your goals in the first two weeks but it does get better. A nurse in the hospital gave me a one ounce pill cup to use. I found I could finish one very 10-15 minutes. I now use a straw for small sips, which helps with the gas (burping). The temperature is a factor too...some can do warm, others cold. Good luck and know what you are going through is normal, you're in good company with this group!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    FABULOUS WEBSITE: http://www.online-stopwatch.com/eggtimer-countdown/full-screen/

This site is an egg timer that sits on your computer screen. Set it for 15 minutes. It counts down and rings, reminding you to drink. Hit reset and it starts all over again. It is so simple!

I started back at work yesterday and had to leave early. I kept forgetting to drink and became too lightheaded to stay. Went home to recoup. That's why my coworker (bless her heart!!!!!) searched last night to find this electronic egg timer to help me survive today.

Today, it reminded me to drink every 15 minutes and I finished 5 cups before 5:00pm. Prior to this, the most I had in a day was 4 cups total. Today I got all 8 cups.

It made such a difference - between the water & protein shakes, there was more energy & concentration - I even forgot to take a lunch break (not hungry, and not tired either). It was a great day.